seward range dec. 22 ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunday hike

Hi again,

It looks like Kelly and I might try for Sunday, the 26th. It sounds like the conditions are favorable; much better than the spruce trap trip that took so much time last spring.

Can anyone give us some tips on following the Caulkins Brook trail? The last time we were up we went from the Ward Brook leanto side of things. It sounds like we'll have some tracks on the ridge, but of course nothing can be counted on for sure until you get up there.

Does anyone who knows the trail want to go for a hike on Sunday?

Thanks!

Mark and Kelly

Very easy. About 1.2 miles in you'll come to the junction with the horse trail heading toward Calkins (Creek, I think it says?) There is a metal gate on your left. Take the horsetrail south until you see flagging on your left, or, if still standing a five foot high tripod made from downed tree limbs. (maybe 30 minutes?) This is the crossover that will take you to the CB path at about 2600'. From there it's straight up to Donaldson. Very packed out. I suggest crampons for the majority of the trip to the ridge from what I've been reading since the last rain and freeze. Have fun! (Most false starts we tried to put sticks across, so keep your eyes open for them) Feel free to break over to Seward, too!

road info

Thanks for the info on the trail. We're familiar with the junction of the dirt road that intersects the hiking trail about a mile in. We'll look for the flags and other signs of life.

Our only other concern is the condition of Corey's Rd; we don't have four wheel drive (we'll be driving a Mercury Sable). Last spring the road looked pretty beat up and icy, how is it this time of year. The last thing we'd want to do is to summit the Seward Range and find ourselves stuck in a car on the way out!

Thanks,

Mark and Kelly

Coreytown Bob Run

Expect hardpack glaze ice with tire ruts and a high center. Any powder snow will make it even more slick. 2WD will likely be problamatic. But you never know, maybe it all got washed out in Thursdays rain. Somehow I don't think that will be the case. Be careful or you'll be in pickle in no time. We wouldn't want to find you cross ways in the road Monday morning!

Pvon

seward 12/27/04 details

what are the particulars for mon. (meet time, location etc.) is there room for me too?!

here we go

Thanks for the info PVON. We're reconsidering the drive in on the last three miles. We hiked the road a couple times last spring, so unless we see somebody at the bridge at 6 am tomorrow morning with a 4WD vehicle ... :) we'll be walking a little farther.

m and k

Pvon & 12/22 group

I've been able to shuffle my plans. Count me in for Monday.

I wonder if we might be able to convince Junior to go for Seymour on 12/27 as well. With the road open, an almost perfect track to Emmons, and tracks halfway to Seward, it may be a quick day for Pinpin. I'd entertain the idea of dropping down the herdpath to Ward Brook and try to break out the Seymour herdpath if there is interest in the group.

Rick

tentative details for 12/27

Greetings everyone. Hope your Christmas was Merry!

I'd rather not repeat myself like last wednesday when I couldn't catch up with the main group but history sometimes repeats itself. I expect to have snow covered roads on my drive to Corey's Road Monday morning so I think I'd get there 6:10 am or so. So long as the gate is unlocked we'd be at the summer trailhead by 6:30 am.

I'm wondering if anyone else has motorola talkabouts? I've got a pair and perhaps they could aid with communication.

What's the consensus about crampons? The lower portion to the herdpath connection via the "crossover" track will probably be barebootable and possibly all the way to the turnoff for Seward.

So far I think Rick B, Aileen, Peggy M., Sean, John R. and possibly Junior are planning Monday's effort. Pig Pen, are you in?

PS: everyone is welcome to chide me about my morning slowness. Given Wednesday's effort to Emmons and back took about 11 hours, I'd like to think no more than 12 for Seward and back (although not that long for Junior). Remember, we don't have to climb up to Donaldson and will cut over lower with a partial track set. Near Full Moon rises at 5 PM.

Pvon

Hi

Definitely count me in for Monday. I will plan on being at the bridge around 6:00 Am. I think I will be hiking so I will not be able to check the internet Sunday. I will be at the Woodruff Motel in Keene Sunday night 518 576 4551. Looking forward to another try.

Seward Seward Seward...

Congratulation Pvon only one more step...Cascade a piece of cake!!!! :D

Thank You everybody You made of this day a special day in the Junior's heart!!!

Pvon I think the last part of this forum report will be for You.

Junior hope You will made a toast to him when You will celebrate in Cascade...hi hi

Junior stay calm You are too young to play with the alcool!!! :p :p

We will hope to see everybody in a other hike...

Pinpin Junior :)

Thursday 30 December?

Sounds like the Monday group found the gate open and set a clear trail to Seward.

Thanks!!!

Anyone want to follow suite on Thursday? (Of course we need to keep an eye on the gate. That extra mileage would make Seward less interesting right now.)

Cheers

Pvon's Your NYC entourage sleeps well tonight

Phil

Don't forget the rabbit tonight!

The trail is rich with adventure, pleasure and the good life.
Stay warm and away from the frostbite and all the rest feels great.
Mary comparatively Cascade will be a piece of cake

When is the big day?

Pvon,

From Pin Pin's post, I take it you made it to Seward
beerchug.gif

Are you still on for Cascade on Friday. What time are you leaving the trailhead. We're hiking on the 30th and leaving town on the 31st around 9-10AM, which if memory serves was around your start time. Since we're staying right down the road from the Cascade trailhead, perhaps we'll stop in to wish you all well before you head out. (iffen that's okay, of course)

Anyhow, Congrats.

What condition was the road in? I assume you did the normal route and not Caulkins Brook. ADK464487 and myself are considering the Sewards this upcoming weekend and any info would be greeat.

Whooo hooo!!! Seward is checked off the list!

Mavs 00, Cascade is a go for Friday, Dec. 31, New Years Eve! We should be at the trailhead at 9 AM and everyone is welcome to join in for a relatively easy end of the Year hike and my celebration for my Winter 46 Finish. Protical for Champagne toasts on the summit is in order and will be provided (except for Junior!).

But more importantly , I'd like to thank everyone for yesterday's early winter hike on a cold, fine day. So sorry Aileen that you missed the turn and repeated what happened to me last Wednesday. Pinpin Junior, thank you kindly for your company and showing us how to get it done. Way to go Pig Pen! John and Rick, you are two strong hikers. And Peggy, I'm glad it worked out that you could join us for the second attempt, you're great company also with your upbeat way. It was a pleasure to hike with all of you and fun to get together in LP after the hike and to say hello to Queen (no alcohol for Jr. though).

For those wondering about the Corey's Road conditions it was still driveable with 4WD. There is glare ice beneath the packed and loose powder covering. Watch for small blowdown all along the road but easily avoidable. IMO I still wouldn't advise 2WD. The parking lot is ok for 4WD but not 2WD or probably AWD unless your sure you can easily extracate yourself from getting hung up.

The Sewards should be seeing limited action this week and the track is set for all three peaks. Use of snowshoes down low is abusive to them so be careful not to overly stress them. Also, be very careful to pay attention to your direction on the ridge. It is so easy to get turned around or to miss the turn onto or off the Seward track and finding the correct CB herdpath off the ridge can be confusing.

And one last item as this thread comes closer to a close: On the way up slope, in meager snow conditions, I broke another nameless snowshoe binding that put me into a panic. I had crampons with me and put them on. I then lashed my snowshoes on my pack and I made it to Seward using crampons without much impact to the snowtrail. Somewhere between Seward and Calkins Brook HP my snowshoes fell off my pack without my notice. If found, you will observe they are actually of two different sets. I'm not asking anyone to retrieve them because thats nuts, but if you see them would you please place them higher on a tree and if you've got a GPS just grab the waypoint and let me know so I can retrieve my "litter". Thanks.

Happy trails
Good Climbing and Happy New Year
Pvon

Last edited:
ebbinghaus said:
Anyone want to follow suite on Thursday? (Of course we need to keep an eye on the gate. That extra mileage would make Seward less interesting right now.)

Cheers

I should know tomorrow about the road. I had planned on Seymour for thursday but am inclined to get the Seward which eluded us last week. I'll post about the road tomorrow.

Seward again but not for me yet

Doc, I can't believe you're up for Seward with Wayne. Too bad you were under the weather Monday. Just in case you didn't notice my snowshoe saga/dilema...should you come across a mixed pair of snowshoes along the ridge please place them higher above the snowline for my retrieval.

Thanx and good luck.

Pvon

Pvon,
If I go to Seward tomorrow, and it looks like I might, your shoes will be brought down. Consider it a thanks for all the recon work you've done in the Sewards this winter. Would you rather I take them home and meet up with you sometime or leave them at the trailhead? And don't say no, if I see them they will come down just let me know what to do with them.
Rik

Pvon, congrats on #45.

Also, thanks for your pre-Dec. 21 trailblazing efforts, and the trailbreaking efforts of all others who proceded my ascent of Donaldson and Emmons on 12/28. It made the hike very enjoyable.

[Note to those that are Sewards bound: Road to summer trailhead was open as of 12/28, but freezing rain and snow on 12/28-12/29 may make the road unsafe].

snowshoes were found

Rik, what a great offer to retrieve my shoes. Winter hikers are the best folk! I received an email last night from Geoff H., from the Schenectady area, saying he and his brother brought out a set of shoes that fit my description. How kind is that? Its super and I appreciate everyones thoughtfullness and hope I can return the same in the future. St. Anthony, you remain my favorite patron Saint.

Rik, have a good hike for Seward. Maybe Thursday will be the nicest day this week. The track is all set for you and you'll have company for sure.

Willie, glad to see you made it back east for the holiday and got in the mountains, especially for the Seward Range. Too bad we didn't cross paths. Drop me a note sometime and lets connect for a hike when you get back this way-even if its a spontaneous trip.

Since the weather looks wet for Friday I have moved my finish on Cascade to tomorrow, Thursday, 12/30 to beat the rain. It might be a later start since I've got to arrange for snowshoes for myself and family. Sometime later today I'll figure the start time but its looking like late morning.

Pvon

Last edited: