Seward Trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
I remember a thread where it was mentioned the road to the summer trailhead will be plowed during the week to make for construction traffic at the lake. Is this still the case? or do I need to plan an extra road walk to get Seymour next weekend?

peak_bgr said:
I remember a thread where it was mentioned the road to the summer trailhead will be plowed during the week to make for construction traffic at the lake. Is this still the case? or do I need to plan an extra road walk to get Seymour next weekend?
The road *MIGHT* be plowed, but there are no guarantees, was what the statement said. Also, even if it is not plowed, it was passable when we went in December. If enough traffic has gone back and forth, you might luck out.

Laurie said:
This is from the NY DEC Web site:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/hptrails.html

"The Corey's Road gate will not be closed this winter. However, the Town of Harrietstown will not plow or maintain Coreys Road beyond the first turn off after the pavement ends. Park along the right side of the road - not in the snowplow turnaround area. This will add approximately 1 mile of hiking/skiing/snowshoeing each way."

Worst case scenerio it might mean 2 extra miles of hiking. Much better than the 6.6 miles when the gate was locked. I'll keep my fingers crossed we can drive to the summer trailhead. We're headed there on Saturday!

Laurie

Whoa, This is not the way I read it. If I understand correctly, (and I may not) The end of plowing as they mention is 1 mile BEFORE the new bridge that was the limit of plowing (aka snowplow turn around) in the past. Meaning you have the 1 mile walk to get to the bridge and then maybe 1/2 mile to get to the gate. Then you start the long and windy road. Of course, one can usually drive on the unplowed road to the gate parking lot in all but a massive dump.

The new winter parking area is a longer hike. I'm glad that I don't have to do that road walk now. It is about 1 mile before you get to the bridge, and is clearly marked as the winter parking area. I laughed as I drove right past it. I have no idea what the current road condition past the bridge is like, but I would not go there without 4 wheel drive and lots of clearance. And a winch.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Eeeewwwwww........

I guess I was being too optimistic that they would plow the road farther up! Thanks for the heads-up!

Laurie