Seymour, and the Sewards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamdog

Reaction score
This trip had been planned for a while, and was rain or shine. And boy did it rain. Wardy and I headed in Fri eve just after the downpour moved through. We knew there were bees on the trail, but after talking to a guy at the trailhead, determined that they were closer to the Blueberry LT. We were wrong. About 35 mins from the trailhead I got swarmed by them. Trying to get away I stumbled and went down a few times all the while swatting everything I could. As close as we can determine, I got hit about 15 times. Now, during the tumbling show I put on trying to get away, my backpack, poles, hat, and glasses were somewhere back in the dark. Wardy tried getting the pack, but he said there were thousands(?) of bee's swarming on it. We gave it a few minutes and went back covered in full rain gear and bandana face cover. Ward got my pack, poles and hat, but no glasses. I chewed up some Benedryl (expired 4/97) and we went back up to look for the glasses. I have no idea how or why, but for some reason I turned my headlamp on and looked to the left (about 20' from the crash site) and sitting in the grass were my glasses. (Could it have been the trail crew?) Onward. Arrived at the Ward Brook LT just in time for it to start pouring. Well, the forecast is for clearing as the weekend goes on. Surely, the sun gods will shine on us.
It poured all night. Got up and headed up Seymour in an effort to bushwack across the Oluska Pass and do the Sewards. We reached the summit in about 1:45 to some great views of fog. The clouds were so thick that you could see them moving by you on the summit. At this point, we decided to bag the Oluska pass as it would have been on 100% compass and gps skills. We headed back down, grabbed a quick sandwich at the LT and headed staright for the Sewards. Turned onto the trail from the truck trail at 11:25 just as it started to rain nicely. We had no more than crossed the brook and I heard Wardy who was behind me, screaming bloody murder. He got nailed by yet another group of bees. Got a real good one near the eye that looked for a moment that it might swell the whole eye shut. Luckily, it didn't. Arrived at the summit of Seward at 2:30. In the pouring rain. Thankfully, there were excellent views of the fog and clouds that literally enveloped your body. But, as we reacalled, the weather is going to clear as the weekend goes on. Now Seward took us an hour longer than we anticipated. We knew that we'd be cutting it close to dark, but rocked on. Shortly after heading to Donaldson we ran into some guys we spoke to the night before from Blueberry LT. One of them got whacked 6 times from the bee/s on the way up. They then informed us that it was about an hour between peaks, while we anticipated an hour to get to Emmons. I often say, there's a fine line between ignorance and stupidity. This is when we crossed that line. Although I had some difficulty with statistics and calculas, I was able to determine that we had a long way to go and wouldn't be down the mountain until after 10:00PM. The pouring rain continued. We were completely soaked through at this point. The winds were picking up a little as well. We hit the summits of Donaldson and Emmons and rocked as fast as we could back. We hit Seward again, it was about 7:00, had a nice wind, heavy rain and fog as thick as it could be working on our side.
We were now in headlamps and could only see a few feet ahead of us. Due to all the rain, we had bagged our eyeglasses long ago. The fog was so thick that with your headlamp on it looked the same as when you put your brights on in a snowstorm. We got on and off the trail for the next couple of hours until we hit the brook. That held some measure of hope as we knew now we would get down. We made it to the truck trail and back to the LT at 10:30. To add insult to injury, we had to go pump water for dinner (and drinks). Immediately got changed into some dry fleece. I am not sure if I have ever felt that relieved to have dry warm clothes on again. We had both begun shivering at that point. Settled down to some hot chili and a cocktail while we kept remarking that we were extremely lucky to say the least. Slept in, for obvious reasons, and finally packed up about 11:00 to head out to Coreys. When we got to the bees nest we headed up into the woods off the trail and got by without incident. Got to the trailhead about 1:45 just in time to see our shadows (first of the weekend) from the sun that had peaked out. As we had said, the weather is going to clear over the weekend. Went into Tupper for the biggest burger I've had. Wardy headed to the laundrymat to wash and dry some things. He was then going to bushnell falls lean to begin Tabletop, Haystack, Basin and Saddleback over Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday night he's driving down to the Upper Works and he'll do Couchie on Wednesday. That will get him to 42, and I had hit 42 this past weekend. Only Cliff, Redifeld, Gray and Skylight remain. I doubt that will be next weekend, but the first weekend in October looks pretty good to finish things up. And the bee stings? I hit the Rite Aid in Tupper and have been pounding the oral and topical Benedryl. Most areas just itch and are swollen, but the leg has blistered up and is still significanlty swollen. Maybe a good reason to go back to bed, and skip work today. Hmmmm.... As we always say, another great weekend in the daks! Slamdog (on behalf of Wardy!)

Slamdog, sounds like a fun little jaunt. Great views of of Marcy from Donaldson, huh? Or were your eyes swollen shut from the bee venom?
While you were galavanting through (all four) of the Sewards in a downpour Rico and I had long since bagged our plans to bushwhack through the Sentinels. Am I ever glad we did.

Yikes!

Thanks for the report. It sounds like like you had a tough trip with all those damn bees! Not pleasant, I know,... had a similar experience on Katahdin many years ago.
I'm planning on being down in the Sewards next weekend.....any description as to the exact whereabouts of the nests would sure be appreciated. Were they near any of the lean tos?

Bee Locations

Prino,
The first bees we encountered were about 35-45 minutes from the Coreys trailhead going in towards the Blueberry and Ward Brook LT's. They are in a fallen tree on the left side of the trail. Coming back we stayed above them off the trail and didn't have a problem. The second nest we encountered was on the way up Seward. We had left the Ward Brook LT and headed to the third bridge where you take a left just before you reach it. You go up along the brook about 30 minutes or so, then cross over the brook and continue upward. It was within 10 minutes after you cross the brook heading up towards Seward. If you go staright up the brook about 20 minutes instead of crossing it you would most likely be past them. Ward dropped down onto the brook afetr he got stung and came up through without further problem. I hope this helps. slamdog

That is THE funniest and most absurd trip report!! You really had me going for a while... here I was falling for such a tale!! ADK Bees --HA! What next??

So, what’d ya really do??? Stay home and watch a ball game? Should've been at the Gathering and fought of Bears and Lions like we did… heck we went on a 200-mile single track mtn biking ride and only fell once!!

You guys… that’s too funny…

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

PS - wear lycra, I've never been attached in them (except verbally...)

slamdog said:
Prino,
The first bees we encountered were about 35-45 minutes from the Coreys trailhead going in towards the Blueberry and Ward Brook LT's. They are in a fallen tree on the left side of the trail. Coming back we stayed above them off the trail and didn't have a problem. The second nest we encountered was on the way up Seward. We had left the Ward Brook LT and headed to the third bridge where you take a left just before you reach it. You go up along the brook about 30 minutes or so, then cross over the brook and continue upward. It was within 10 minutes after you cross the brook heading up towards Seward. If you go staright up the brook about 20 minutes instead of crossing it you would most likely be past them. Ward dropped down onto the brook afetr he got stung and came up through without further problem. I hope this helps. slamdog

Thanks Slamdog that should help....we'll BEE :rolleyes: very careful.
Hope the expired benadryl helped!!

Bubba..... No kidding!! (or were you being sarastic? :) )
bees ,wasps and hornets are all potential dangers at this time of year. I think it's because they are beginning to die off and get very aggressive when they are disturbed. Three kids riding their bikes on a trail behind my place got stung a few times at this time last year. The nest was the same as the one slamdog encountered....in the end of a rotting hollowed out fallen tree.

With any luck they'll all be dead by this time next week if we get a couple of night time frosts.

bubba said:
That is THE funniest and most absurd trip report!! You really had me going for a while... here I was falling for such a tale!! ADK Bees --HA! What next??

So, what’d ya really do??? Stay home and watch a ball game? Should've been at the Gathering and fought of Bears and Lions like we did… heck we went on a 200-mile single track mtn biking ride and only fell once!!

You guys… that’s too funny…

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

PS - wear lycra, I've never been attached in them (except verbally...)
Bubba,
As Lonesome George Thorogood says, "Everybody funny, now you funny too". I would have given my left leg to be off those mountains at different times Saturday night. I didn't even begin to describe the proverbial "boot sucking mud" or just sitting on the Seward rocks and sliding down as fast as we could, and the landings were always interesting. I have no idea how many times we fell. I was in some of the BSM that was up past my gaitors. And, we did manage to take a photo of each summitt and it's respective marker. There were a lot of shoulda and coulda during this trip, and it seemed at each fork in the road, we took a wrong turn. But it's history now, and I don't have to go back there until winter now. 42 down, 4 to go. slamdog

December 21st just might be the time to go in there. Maybe we'll get lucky and have no snow and rivers of water ice to crampon upon. I need all 4.

Slamdog,
Last year we left the Iron Bridge at 5:30 am. figuring we'd do all three Sewards. Turned out no one had been up that way for a while. We were sinking in pretty deep and lost the "trail" at the blowdown, wallowed up to our chests for a while before realizing we were "having, no fun." (remember John Prine's Illegal Smile)got back on track and finally got to D. You shoulda seen the spruce traps, we sampled quite a few on our way to D's little sub summit. It was turnaround time a klick from E. Lucky us though it was a particularly beautiful day. Back on the road and on skis I whammed into one of my partners from behind and we went flying through the night. I slammed my face into the hardpack and hyperextended my neck. When we got to the cars we had been going hard and steady for 15 hours. I later found out that we weren't even on D's true summit but a lookout nearby.
Then,
A buddy needed Seward for #46. In April. Early in the morning the road was covered with glare ice under a spring shower. Great for a groin pull. Up high the mountain was a big spruce trap looking for hikers and we were the willing supply. Ever had the bottom fall right out from under you? Fourteen hours it took us. That road at day's end is very long....and it was a Sunday. Boo.

We encountered no bees and no BSM.

Nice Pix

Neil said:
Slamdog, sounds like a fun little jaunt. Great views of of Marcy from Donaldson, huh? Or were your eyes swollen shut from the bee venom?
While you were galavanting through (all four) of the Sewards in a downpour Rico and I had long since bagged our plans to bushwhack through the Sentinels. Am I ever glad we did.

Hey Neil. Great pix! BTW who was that woman in those Foster Grants? (Or was it a guy -- sorry -- hard to tell given the purposively distorted photo style.) Bet I can guess when this new one was taken. :D

Nice Pix

Neil said:

Hey Neil. Great pix! BTW who was that woman in those Foster Grants? (Or was it a guy -- sorry -- hard to tell given the purposively distorted photo style.) Bet I can guess where this new one was taken. :D

BSM vs. MBP

Is the proper term for the mud on Donaldson really Boot Sucking Mud (my association is with the Santanoni's) or the prosaic "Mud of Biblical Proportions?"

My son and I climbed Seymour on Saturday, Sep 24th. We did not see any bees on the way in, but found them on the way out. My son was stung 3 times and me once. They are about 30 - 40 minutes in from the trailhead at Corey's. If you make it as far as the Shattuck Clearing/Calkins Brook tote road then you've already passed them.