? Shelburne Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lylaoneil

Reaction score
Tried to hike up to Shelburne Moriah by the Shelburne Trail and found logging going on - not sure where the trail was. The new,active logging road seemed to go up where the trail should be. Anyone have any info?

From the N or S?

The Shelburne Trail is an old logging road and it could be in use again, even if the logging road doesn't exactly follow the trail there may be mud, slash, etc. on the trail. If you don't want to hike thru a logging area come in the other way on Shelburne Trail or use Rattle River.

I just went in from Rattle River and it was a great trail. Rattle River is part of the AT, so the conditions were excellent. From there to Shelburne Moriah we saw nobody. Beautiful spot.

Thanks -

I did go up the Rattle River Trail, and as you said, it was great. Great views over to the summit, too. I just like a loop if at all possible, but I wasn't disappointed with this route.

Your post is also good info for me. I was looking into that possibility, but if the trail is that hard to follow I may have to do more research.

If you find out any thing - please let me know.
Maybe the trail is still there beyond the logging, but the men working there didn't know anything about the it. Because of that I was skeptical to try to find it and waste a part of the day on an unfruitful endeavor.

Shelburne Trail- FOUND!

Pass the gate 2 miles to where the active log yard is... continue up the obliterated, muddy, knee-deep skidder path that once was the Shelburne Trail and look for something unmarked trail going up on the left. This skidder track continues up along the brook whereas the path makes a heading for Howe's Peak. Other than the mix up as far as where the trail head was and then finding the trail it was a great ~20.3 mile run out to Carter Hut and then down 19 Mile Brook...

See link on USFS page concerning logging operations.

Shelburne-Moriah

If you like a loop hike and want to do Shelburne-Moriah, I highly recommend doing a hike starting at the Wild River Campground. See the photo album link in the report for pictures from this exceptionally scenic circular.

Last edited: