Shell jacket with removable hood

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
By any chance, has anybody seen a basic breathable (non-goretex) shell jacket that has a removable hood? Something like a Marmot precip would fit the bit, but with a removable hood. I use a ligthweight shell when summer hiking in the rain and also biking to work or touring, etc. A hood is pointless on a bike since I use a cycling cap under my helmet when it rains but useful when hiking. Most inexpensive shells don't seem to come with a removable hood and you wont find a cycling jacket (at least I've never seen one) with a hood.

...and it has to be on sale/closeout so I guess that makes it even more impossible to find, but I'm open to ideas if anybody even knows of one.

Jay

last weekend the ramsey outdoor store(17 south) had a huge sale in their parking lot, there were insane deals. i bought a patagonia soft shell jacket (white smoke)with removeable hood regularly priced at $270 for $100. probably a bit warm for your intended use but there was a bunch of stuff there.
i checked their website and no mention of a sale this weekend but it couldnt hurt to call.

Thanks Charlos, I think a softshell would be way too hot. Even the precip is borderline too hot in the late summer/spring bike commute and it's probably a lot bigger than what I would need. It needs to be packable too which is why most gore-tex stuff is too big and too heavy, and too pricey to beat up commuting. I will browse STP and other online clearence pages but most non-goretex inexpensive shell jackets say "adjustable" hoods and not removable.

I find that when cycling, the hood, no matter how adjustable it is always gets in the way of my rear visibility (via my bike mirror) so it would be nice to be able to completely remove it when cycling.

Jay