Shenandoah Valley Va. hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayward son

Reaction score
Hello, Is May a good time to hike in the Shenandoah Valley, as far as not being too hot or rainy? Should I expect snow in the mountains at this time of year ( Mid May )? Thanks!

Spring (May) is a great time for places like Shenadoah National Park. The forest floor is carpeted with wildflowers in bloom. Enjoy!

Definitely no snow in Virginia in May, unless there's some freak storm, of course. (I've barebooted 4Ks in February with no snow and mild temps.) May is getting pretty warm, but obviously not as bad as June, July, August.

Earlier in May is better. Still springlike while late may can be more like summer. Close to Memorial Day can be very crowded, particularly in Shenendoah NP. I was there weekend before Memorial and it was already quite busy one year. Waterfalls are still pretty strong the earlier you go in May. It can be rainy but no worse than anywhere else in the Northeast during May.

Definitely no snow in Virginia in May, unless there's some freak storm, of course. (I've barebooted 4Ks in February with no snow and mild temps.) May is getting pretty warm, but obviously not as bad as June, July, August.

Yeah, I heard June can get quite hot. I prefer cooler temps for hiking; I wonder if I should plan on late April instead. Thanks!

Earlier in May is better. Still springlike while late may can be more like summer. Close to Memorial Day can be very crowded, particularly in Shenendoah NP. I was there weekend before Memorial and it was already quite busy one year. Waterfalls are still pretty strong the earlier you go in May. It can be rainy but no worse than anywhere else in the Northeast during May.

Great info! I am absolutely not a fan of crowded trails; I never hike the Adirondacks during the summer and fall holidays. The waterfalls would be cool to see and perhaps wildlife might be more abundant before the heat and tourist explosion commences.

I passed through the park the week before Memorial and in the southern reaches of the park it was still chill enough to wear a winter hat late at night the one night. The next several days were warm not hot and comfortable at night. Of course it can be in 90s or cool rain in same timeframe.

I did week hike in late April one year. It was cool and rainy. Many of the services were not open. We did have the shelters just about to ourselves. Just keep in mind that the AT runs along the ridge line and there is a ski resort just south of the park. The elevation is in the 5000 to 6000 foot range so the local forecasts for the region tend to be optimistic.