Short Notice Trip to John's Brook and surrounding Mtns 10/1 - 10/2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Activesport2002

Reaction score
I am looking to share gas/travel costs with hikers ( or a hiker ) or meet in the area to hike any series of the surrounding peaks. I have hiked all great range peaks all at once as well one piecemeal. I have also completed brothers/big slide, Marcy and Yard, but I am willing to hike these peaks again. Because gas prices are so high it will be much greater to actually travel with other hiker(s) to share the costs. Key information: I live in the Greenfield Center/Saratoga area of NY and travel up the northway (route 87) to exit 30 to Keene Valley, NY. Please contact [email protected] for more information or respond here. Sorry for the extremely short notice. :)

I go up most Saturdays from Corinth which is only a few minutes from Saratoga/Greenfield. Tomorrow we probably won't leave until almost 8am as our hike is on the easy side but the next couple of weeks will probably be earlier as the days get shorter. PM me if you want to make some plans.

Short Notice Trip to John's Brook reply

I ended up driving to the ADK Loj. I climbed up Algonquin via Mac trail and out via Marcy Dam to Loj. There was a bit of snow left in places on Algonquin. I was so tired from a poor sleep in the car Friday night that I walked right by the trail to Wright and decided once eating breakfast on Algonquin to hike down and go home. I got to see the Avalanche Lake and Pass for the first time with all the blow downs. I studied geology in college and taught in grade school and college (St. Rose), so the rockslide evidence on the shores of avalanche lake was an awesome sight. I still had a great time and met a lot of really nice people including an absolutely gorgeous young lady who was with two guys and a another young woman. Hopefully she was just friends with those guys. including an absolutely gorgeous young lady who was with two guys and another young woman. Hopefully she was just friends with those guys. If you read this post you were headed southeast from the Loj towards Avalanch Pass. You had dark hair, awesome eyes, a great smile, and you said hello, how are you? I replied great how about you? You had a black and blue backpack and you were the last in your group of 4 to pass me as I walked the other way. It was close to one of the lean-tos near Marcy Dam. :)

Last edited:
Rik - Hope your trip was great!

Hey Rik, thanks for the response. I hope you had a great time as well, I know the weather was awesome. A little windy and cold on the peaks but still fantastik.