Show us and/or describe what is in your daypack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweeper said:
Obviously You boy haven't got 'Fox-40' Whistles, "The Loudest Whistle in the World". You won't bring them in from miles away but, you may want to put a pair of earplugs with the whistle.
I saw a comparison of the Fox-40 and Storm whistles. They did some tests of audibility to listeners some distance away. The lower pitch of the Storm penetrates farther, but wind and storm noise tends to be louder at lower frequencies. Older people also tend to lose hearing sensitivity at higher frequences. (So if you get lost, make sure that the searchers are all young... :) )

The Storm appears to be rated at 120db and the Fox-40 at 115db. In either case, hearing damage from extended use is possible.

I think I'll take you up on that suggestion that one carry a set of earplugs...

Doug

DougPaul said:
I think I'll take you up on that suggestion that one carry a set of earplugs...Doug

But having earplugs in is going to make it hard to hear your rescuers response, and I hate it when they "sneak up" on you because you can't hear them and they kick you so you'll stop blowing that damn whistle. :D

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
But having earplugs in is going to make it hard to hear your rescuers response, and I hate it when they "sneak up" on you because you can't hear them and they kick you so you'll stop blowing that damn whistle. :D
Take your choice--have the whistle deafen you or use the earplugs.

I suppose sticking your fingers in your ears while blowing the whistle and then removing them might be a better method. The ultra-lighters will like it too, at least if you can convince them to carry the whistle in the first place... :) Besides, it is easier for us memory-challanged folks to remember to bring them along.

Doug