Shuttle Service in VT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
If I remember correctly, there was a thread before that discussed several different shuttle type options in Vermont but, I can't seem to find it now. I know about RCT Newport but, are there any other services out there that can be used to get a ride from one trailhead to another? Road distance is over 100mi and so hitching or riding a bike are not really options for this trip. Thanks for the help!

I don't have a specific contact but can offer that elsewhere I have had success contacting the local Chamber of Commerce. They sometimes have the names of individuals who can be helpful to hikers in addition to the shuttle companies and taxi service.

Near the Norther End of the Long Trail, Rose Apple Acres Farm does shuttling:

Web: www.roseappleacres.com
email: [email protected]

I noticed someone on trail forums offering shuttling (see: http://www.trailforums.com/detail.cfm?PostNum=5501) "betweem Minerovia shlter and Clarendon Shelter."

Also, from my notes in preparing for my Long Trail trip (I think I got this info off of trail forums, as well):

Rural Community Transport (RCT) to Newport Center from Wells River. 802-748-8170

Ride coordinator David at RCT X25

Call Steve Merrill for ride to trail head. He is a great help. 802-988-2958

A great bus ride home from the LT

I did a S/N End To End on the LT, finishing up in North Troy NY, where Rose Apple Acres picked me up. After a comfy night's rest they brought me to Newport the next morning. From there I caught the RCT and transferred to the Vermont Transit bus system. I continued to ride buses all the way idown 91 into Hartford CT, arriving about 2:30ish that afternoon. Then I transferred to a CT Transit commuter line which brought me home to Colchester CT by 4:00, where I surprised my wife with a call asking for her to come pick me up only three miles away in the center of our town.
The bus ride home actually turned out to be an added feature to the trip. I don't get a chance to ride buses often and it felt luxurious after that last week of hard hiking. I got some pretty serious end of the trail bragging done because the strangers on each bus saw my gear and were eager to hear my story (which I somehow never tired of telling). I wasn't half as obnoxious as I usually am when I return home from a solo adventure, ready to wear the family's ears off with my chatter.
I highly recommend the bus ride south. I think it only cost about $65.00 or so. By that time my wife had made about four trips up to visit me on the trail and it would have taken her a lot of time just to make it up to the Canada border from Southern CT. I arrived home properly "decompressed", to a happy family that had not been forced to drive forever in order to get me.
Strummystick

Last edited: