Sick Penacook man flown off Mount Hale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From pictures i have seen it looks like you weren't alone up there. From an WFA perspective i wonder what were people doing to help? It was a hot day and folks aren't used to this weather.

From pictures i have seen it looks like you weren't alone up there. From an WFA perspective i wonder what were people doing to help? It was a hot day and folks aren't used to this weather.

I wasn't on the summit when he was airlifted.

I was at the summit talking to a father and son hiking duo who ascended via Hale Brook (I got there via Lend-a-Hand). They were heading down. Maybe five to ten minutes later the boy came back to the summit to ask for an aspirin (they thought he was having a heart attack). I gave him one and learn of the downed man. Minutes later I headed down myself (this time via Hale Brook). I stopped at the scene, about 0.1 mi. from the summit. There were a half dozen bystanders, one a doctor, and the father and son duo who found him. They were trying to keep him awake, to get him to be responsive, hydrated, shaded, and not alone. I confirmed all was under control, as much as could be, anyway, then continued down the trail. Not much use just hanging around. About 0.25 mi. or so from the trailhead I encountered the first of three rescuers. I filled them in on what I knew. Then continued upward, I down. At the trailhead I met with a number of personnel from various agencies, filling them in on what details I knew as well just as some SAR and F&G folks were headed up as well. If there were more than about a dozen folks people up there when he was finally rescued I imagine it was a mix of responders, civilian helpers, and curious onlookers.

Definitely a hot day on that trail.