Sierra Designs Flashlight or Eureka Zues 2 Exo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Hi folks...haven't posted in a while...due to some recent changes in my life...I'm in the market for a new tent...I'm looking for a 2 person 3-season...and I'd like to use my REI dividend/20% off coupon on this...so looking at REIs site now, I think I have narrowed it down to 2 tents...I've heard great things about the SD Flashlight, but the Eureka is almost a full pound lighter...does anyone have any experience with this tent?? Or the newer Eureka tents in general?? I always thought Eureka made lower quality items...but their designs sure have changed...so maybe the quality did as well?? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Captain Fantastic

captain said:
...I always thought Eureka made lower quality items...but their designs sure have changed...so maybe the quality did as well?? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...
People measure quality in different ways. I've owned two Eureka tents - a 2-man Timberline and a family camping tent - and they've been tremendous in terms of durability and reliability, as well as being weatherproof. Can't speak to the newer tents specifically, but saving a pound sounds awful good to me...

I agree with Oldsmores. I think Eureka makes high quality products at reasonable prices. I've owned three Eureka tents, two of which are still in active service.

I've heard some comments about condensation problems with Zeus Exo, but that seems to be universal with single wall designs.

Steve

Captain,

I bought the Eureka Zeus last Winter (Around January) at Eureka's Tent Outlet - The Zeus 2 - It ws a Class A model at a great price of ~ $95. I used the tent for myself only (well one night with my dog)

I used the tent for 3 nights on the AT in PA and then took it too Alaska where I used it for 6 nights. I then sold it for what I paid for it on E-bay.

I based my Zeus experience on the following tent experiences:
I used a Eureka timberlite for 12 years, used the Eureka Summit for 4 years, as well as a Kelty Windfoil 2 for 4 years, a Jack Wolfskin Soloist for 6 years and an Outbound copy of a Megamid for 2 winters - Oh yeah plus my 12 year old Bivy.

Pro's - Easily set up, freestanding and very light.

Con's - Condensation, condensation, condensation. I should have realized the problem would be pretty bad when the clerk told me that it's useful to have a bandanna in the tent to wipe off any condensation.

The tent was always wet and clammy, even when it was cold and dry out. One very cold night I close down the longitudinal side vents and it was like a steam bath in there. The rear vent just didn't seem to vent well, even when the front door was open a crack.

It rained several nights in Alaska and the tent was always and consistantly godawful wet inside. The tent is just cold, wet and clammy - Especially if you sit up and touch a sidewall.

My last night in Alaska was when I hatched the plan to sell the Zeus ASAP and get a 2-wall tent again. (I am thinking of the SD Hyperlight) I couldn't imagine how wet it would be with 2 people in there

The other problem with the Zeus was that it always had that new tent chemical smell to it even after leaving it standing in the basement for 5 nights (The whole basement stunk) It really seemed to smell worse than my other tents.

I like Eureka products and I like their quality vs. price. However, I am avoiding this whole single wall bit as long as I am on the damp east coast (or Alaska).

Some friends of mine have the Zeus 2 and they took it out west where it performed very,very well in the Grand Canyon - But then again it is extremely dry out there.

Hopefully this helps you with your decision.

I have a 2 person SD Clip Flashlight that I bought several years ago. The main reason was it was light. I wanted a tent that I could carry by myself so I could backpack on my own (I'm a 115 lb female so weight is everything when packing). The SD is light, fairly quick and easy to set up and you don't need alot of ground space because the footprint is small. The tent has never leaked and I have been out in some torrential rainstorms with it. But, there are some drawbacks. If the design hasn't changed, is not freestanding. Its a little cramped for 2 folks, especially larger folks, but spacious room for one. The vestibule is small, ok for boots, small dog but fitting a pack inside could be tough and I don't think 2 packs would fit . The tent can get warm and muggy in hot weather because of the small space but you can go without the rain fly. Not a 4 season tent. Overall, the tent has served its purpose and I still use it. I tend to do more "car" camping out of campgrounds now and for this I would actually like a bigger tent for this type of camping.