Sign of the times - arrest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cbcbd said:
She says that she had climbed that rock in different places before... yeah, maybe a few feet of bouldering, but I seriously doubt she's a free solo climber pushing her limits or a climber at all for that matter.

I think she probably used the word "climb" in the less-technical sense ala Julie Andrews "climb every mountain." I didn't get the sense she was a rock climber ... or a drunk or a druggie. I got the sense she was another d-word _ ditz _ who didn't realize what she was doing until it was too late.

cbcbd said:
Free Climbing unroped is no longer called Free Climbing, it is technically called Free Soloing. Calling it Free Climbing Solo could cause some confusion.

Free soloing (instead of free climbing - unroped) works for me. I had never heard that the term "free climbing" assumed using a belay.

soloing

Last edited:
jfb said:
I had never heard that the term "free climbing" assumed using a belay.
"Free climbing" (using equipment solely for protection in case of a fall) is as opposed to "Aid climbing" where equiment is used to support the climber's weight and for forward progress.

Doug

DougPaul said:
"Free climbing" (using equipment solely for protection in case of a fall) is as opposed to "Aid climbing" where equiment is used to support the climber's weight and for forward progress.

Doug

Nobody's confused about the difference between those two.

I love the idiot

park manager who says no "no climbing" sign is necessary because you should be able to determine the danger for yourself.
This case will probably be dismissed because of this.

free climbing

I caught the interview of her and I thought it was sort of funny. The reporter asked if she was going to climb again and she said "no.... not here ...but I am thinking of doing it more professionally" . She had free climbed different routes there before and I think she got in over her head this time. Seeking the rush I think. She sounded pretty grounded but definately made a poor choice that day. It happens sometimes when you start something new - she got lucky.

I am carreer fire officer here in CT. Here is my take on her being arrested. We put our lives in danger on a regular basis for situations that most people don't have any control over. And I don't think twice about those. But when our lives are endangered because of stupidity, arrogance or some other reason that people have control over, then I wouldn't hesitate to have the police arrest the person. With all this publicity, maybe, just maybe one person might think twice before doing something reckless. Remember, she didn't just endanger the couple of fire fighters that went over the edge. My guess is that NHFD had well over 20 personnel there, all responding in apparatus with lights and sirens. This put not only all the emergency responders in danger, but also all the civilians on the road that crossed paths with the responding appartus that day.