Skatutakee Mountain -Hiking in the Harris Center Preserve Hancock NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf88

Reaction score
On sunday Jeremy and I were free to do a little hike. We both wanted to go west and Skatutakee Mountain in the Harris Center Preserve in Hancock NH looked fun. Our Hike was about 5.3 miles round trip, and it took us 2 1/2 hours. Trails were nice, they were well maintained and well blazed with only one blow down that needed crawling under.
Tracks:
4_17_04_12_7_55_01.jpeg

Skatutakee Mountain
Summit
7085686049_1507d304c0_b.jpg

View
6939613892_d5c279efa9_b.jpg

Thumb Mountain
Summit
6939619212_e1ff598d95_b.jpg

Plaque on summit of Thumb:
6939621178_4ea9a73a19_b.jpg

Looking back at Skatutakee
6939622828_2efb2c080a_b.jpg

Hiking these small mountains in the Monadnock Region is fun. Theres still a ton more of them that I'ld like to check out

Great stuff

Nice report. Your pics captured the clouds very nicely!

If you want to visit another great 2K in the same neighborhood, check out dePierrefeu Willard Pond Wildlife Sanctuary managed by Audobon. I've heard Willard Pond has some of the clearest waters in NH according to testing by Sechi Disk. Bring your kayak! I've seen loons there all 3 times I've visited it. It has nice trail network takes you up over Bald Mountain with fine open ledges and down by the pond.

Last edited:
I was on Skatutakee the day before you. I prefer the loop hike from the Harris Center. Map It is one of the really nice small mountains in the area.

Bald Mtn is also very nice with its views to the north and west over Willard Pond. It also has a nice trail loop using the Tudor, Bald Mountain, and Tamposi trails or a shorter loop using the two branches of the Tamposi Trail. I have also seen loons here on my summer visits.

This spring I hiked the Ted's and Carolyn's trails on N. Pack Monadnock for the 1st time and found that this longer loop hike is very nice alternative to the more popular and shorter Wapack Trail route.

Crotched Mountain also has very nice niews from it's ledges near the top.

Great shorter hikes that I often do are S. Pack, Temple Mtn(the old ski area trails), and the Berry Pasture Trail that ascends Burton Peak on the Temple Mtn ridge.

The Monadnock region has many great smaller mountains to explore.