ski/snowshoe boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayward son

Reaction score
Are there any boots made that will accommodate both cross country ski and snow shoe use? I would like to get such a boot, as I am toying with the idea of planning day trips of skiing in so far and then switch over to snowshoes when the terrain becomes too steep.

If you get a standard backcountry ski boot that fits an nnn-bc ski binding, it will definitely fit in a snowshoe binding. The duckbill on most telemark boots should also fit into most snowshoe bindings, but may get in the way a bit as you try to step on steep terrain.

Ditto on Halite - The NNN-BC Binding would work as well as the Salomon SNS system. (These have the bars across the front, right at the end of the toeline)The only problem is that these ski boots aren't too warm in the event you were thinking of snowshoeing up some winter peaks.

I've had good luck with NNNBC boots by Alpina. The BC600 and BC 1000 models fit my skis, snowshoes and crampons. They are quite waterproof and have thinsulate to keep my feet warm.

Halite and Rick, thanks for the info! Rick, hiking up some peaks is exactly my plan. Warm, toasty feet is a big priority! :) After having experienced an unhealthy dose of frost bite a number of years ago while playing pond hockey (ouch!!), I have acquired a great deal of respect for taking the utmost care of my little piggies. I am not familiar with these boots, do they have good tread to walk around on bare, wind swept summits?

Agree also with Rick. Most backcountry type xc ski boots have decent traction but are not warm when buried in snow (like when you're wearing snowshoes in deep-ish snow). Anything colder than +10 F and you may want to carry other boots with you, or choose some beefier boots like Scarpas or something that is compatible with a bit of mountaineering as well as skiing (but $$). I just carry the extra weight of warmer boots typically. You may want to consider making a sled for your ski approaches, so you can carry the extra stuff... given the right trails it can be a blast!
Have fun.
Weatherman

What kind of skiing are you planning on doing? The plastic tele/backcountry boots (Scarpa, Garmont, Crispi) all are tough boots that will take crampons and snowshoes, and have good Vibrum soles. The Garmont Excursion or Scarpa T4 are pretty light, warm, and good for kick and glide on a backcountry ski. That's the direction I'd go.

Although the duckbill of the 75mm binding might get in the way at times, I think the boots are much more robust than a NNN-BC boot. I just don't like that bar in the front, I'm afraid it would get bent on rough rock near the top. I also like 75mm bindings much more than NNN-BC for the ability to do a tele turn, but that might not be an issue for you.

-dave-

For a contrarian's view, listen to me. I love my plastic telemark boots for telemarking, but if I'm whacking around the woods you'll find me in lightweight leather (or ultralight synthetic, like the Rossi BCX9) backcountry boots.

Some data:
plastics:
Scarpa T4 04/05: 2750 g (for size 8 UK)
Garmont Excursion: 2800 g

lightweights:
Garmont Venture: 1700 g (size 8)
Rossi BCX9: 1600 g

If you go with the lighterweight boots (which you can do if your terrain and skiing goals are appropriate), you save over a pound per foot.

Whichever way you go, I do prefer duckbills over the bar-based "systems bindings" like NNN-BC.

- Todd, who often tours in 3880 g boots, 1800 g bindings, and 3160 g skis: 8,840 g, or 19.5 lbs of direct ski gear, plus accessories

Last edited:
I hope my post wasn't read into as NNN-BC is a better style of gear than 3 pin, I was simply thinking of an all around system that would let the user have several outdoor options without laying out a lot of cash.

Same logic applies to someone who wants the best of both worlds with a kayak - a short 7' boat for rivers and a long 17' boat that can be used in lakes and settles for a 10-12' boat. It will do either, but do neither very well. For a user that doesn't have extremely high expectations, they can have years of fun.

Have a wonderful weekend

My post was also not necessarily an endorsement of the NNN-BC system over the 75MM duckbill. Both systems have their tradeoffs, as aptly pointed out by the other posters to this thread. You will need to decide whether weight and flexibility are more important on balance than strength and warmth.

For my money, I would still go with the 75MM system (even though I wish the manufacturers would develop a design without the duckbill.) These systems will give you more versatility for the backcountry. With more control on the downhills, you may find you won't need to switch to snowshoes as often as you thought.

Alpina 1500s

I bought a pair from REI as 04 leftovers for 50 bucks and they worked out great on a recent trip.

We did a traverse of Baxter park from N-S. I skied 40 miles and walked about 10, half of that in snowshoes.

Boots were warm on -10 deg mornings, and very comfortable for walkimng and skiing.

I also fitted insteps cramps to them but never needed to use crampons on that trip.

Sounds like just what you are looking for.

cb

Wayward,

What type of trips do you have in mind? Are the skis just for transportation, or do you want to be able to make turns as well? Overnights or day trips?

-dave-

I find this discussion interesting and pertinent to what I do. I have tried, for the past two years, to find just such a boot. I thought I had found the perfect boot twice. It is essentially the same boot, and it is/was made by Salomon and Fischer. It took a NNN BC binding, and had massive cleats in the tread in case I had to bare boot it. It also had a square back heel, with cleats up the back of the heel, to better hold a snowshoe binding. I mean these were mean looking boots. They worked well for warmth, traction, walking, snowshoes and skiis. So, why don't I still have them? They fit poorly, and gave me huge blisters, regardless of whatever sock combo I had on.

Then I noticed my wife and friend just used their cross country boots in their snowshoes. You know, the kind of boots that are rounded under at the heel. Their snowshoe bindings just muckled onto their boots and stayed put. This coming season, I'm gonna use my plain old x-country ski boots and see just how that works.

I really want to find an all in one boot. Trips into Baxter or where ever, with a gear sled sled, would be nice if I didn't have to have a pair of boots for every kind of activity. Two are needed, obviously, in case one gets wet, but three and for pair gets old: 1) cross country ski, 2) Snowshoe, 3) bare boot, 4) cabin wear.......

Hmmmm.... I was just looking for a link to the products, seems I can't find them. Perhaps, they received many similar complaints and stopped manufacturing?????

I'll look some more this year, but I may just go with my good old comfy boots.

waywardson and bob, the Alpina 600, 1000, and 1500 mentioned in the posts above are older models of XC ski boots that were useful (and still work for me :) ). The new model that does a similar duty is the 1550. They are about 140.00 and are pretty good at approach skiing, snowshoeing and barebooting on snow covered trails. Strap-on crampons will also fit them quite well making them lightweight, comfortable and waterproof footwear for general winter daytrips. You probably can't do tele turns with them but you can $pend a lot more for that $tuff if you want it.

JimB said:
waywardson and bob, the Alpina 600, 1000, and 1500 mentioned in the posts above are older models of XC ski boots that were useful (and still work for me :) ). The new model that does a similar duty is the 1550. They are about 140.00 and are pretty good at approach skiing, snowshoeing and barebooting on snow covered trails. Strap-on crampons will also fit them quite well making them lightweight, comfortable and waterproof footwear for general winter daytrips. You probably can't do tele turns with them but you can $pend a lot more for that $tuff if you want it.
Unh...JimB, how warm is that Alpina 1550? Like many people on this thread I want one pair of boots that'll keep my feet warm down to at least neg 25 and be useable in x-c skis, snowshoes and crampons. Obviously a little trade-off will be necessary but I sure don't 5 lbs worth of boots on the end of my legs.

I kinda take a different tact with keeping my feet warm. Yes, I have to have a somewhat suitable boot for the conditions, but I need them to be on the cool side. I have found that by keeping my feet cool (not freezing or very cold) when I put them on, I am able to warm them just fine with a little action. What I really worry about is getting my feet sweating. Once they are sweat drenched, that's when it is hard to keep them warm. I wear Hi tech socks, suitable for the conditions.

When downhill skiing, I'll drive to the mountain with my boots in the back of the truck. No warming huts for them, put them on cold and I am warm before I get to the lift. On those mother cold days, I'll put them in the rear of the king cab, well away from the heater and they are still cold enough to put on and not make my feet sweat before I get outside.

Neil said:
Like many people on this thread I want one pair of boots that'll keep my feet warm down to at least neg 25 and be useable in x-c skis, snowshoes and crampons. Obviously a little trade-off will be necessary but I sure don't 5 lbs worth of boots on the end of my legs.
To keep you warm when not moving at -25 you'll need a pretty beefy boot. While skiing at really cold temps you don't need too much, but think about stopping for food, water, or if you have an equipment failure or injury. If you really want something to work in those conditions I would want a boot like the Excursion/Liberos/T4/T3. I've got Excursions and they're are now my all around backcountry ski boot, they'll take crampons easily, and pretty much anything will work in a modern snowshoe binding.

-dave-

Another way to go is mukluks with liners e.g., Steger Arctic Weathermates, and Berwin/Sherpa bindings for the bc skis. See www.mukluks.com and www.Akers-ski.com . Your feet will be warm and comfortable for either snowshoeing or skiing. Not really recommended for steep terrain, though, you won't have enough ski control.
Walt

David Metsky said:
To keep you warm when not moving at -25 you'll need a pretty beefy boot. ...
-dave-

Has anybody tried the Rossi BC X9's out with crampons? Or snowshoed in them for any length of time?

Neil, I haven't tried those Rossi's out but I have a pair of Alpina Telelite's that are very similar. They are probably better for controlling my skis but they are awful stiff and heavy for a long day in the mountains. I have an even heavier/stiffer pair of Karhus(Sirius) that get to be a drag after many hours. When I'm out for 10 or 12 hours I still like my lighter gear and throw on the Northern Lites when the going gets a little steeper :) .