Sleeping pad: 3/4 or full lengtg

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluethroatedone

Reaction score
Okay...fixed my guidelight, but following the advice will get a Prolite4 to save the weight. Now the question is 3/4 length vs full length. On the previous thread it seemed about 50/50. Anyone buy 3/4 and regret it? Do your legs or feet hurt at all in the morning from the hard ground? I'm leaning that way given that I can use my guidlight in winter when its cold...

Last edited:
3/4 with my pack under my legs. If I wanted to be comfortable I would sleep in a hut :p

I'm only 5'5" and the 3/4 Prolite 4 is like 4/5ths to me. In any case, one can use your backpack as the remaining 1/4 if you wish. I also hang my head off the pad too as I have a pillow filled with extra clothes or rain gear. I don't regret not having a full length for backpacking. I do have a full length thermarest but I only use that when car camping.

Jay

I too use the 3/4 and place my pack under my feet.

3/4 and no regrets at all. In the winter I use my fixed full length in addition to the 3/4. Any other time, if my legs get cold, for whatever reason, I do what everyone else does. I put my pack under my legs, though that has been very rare. :D

Keith

Guess I'll be the contrarian--I use a full length self-inflatable pad in summer. In winter, I'll use a full or 3/4 length self-inflatable on top of a 1/2 in closed cell pad (warmth and comfort).

On one winter trip, the center person in a 3-man tent used a 3/4 pad and had a pile of junk at her feet. (Feet by the entrance.) I found it a bit annoying trying to climb over the pile of junk scattered around the door when I needed to get in or out. The side people both used full length pads.

Doug

I always used the 3/4 + pack system happily and comfortably until my family bought me a full length Thermarest (my first inflatable).

Now I use that. ;)

Like several others here, I use a 3/4 length pad and stuff a sack with my spare clothes to act as a pillow. I've never noticed my feet being cold as a result.

I used to use a Mountain Hardwear foam pad when I car camped, but I somehow lost the darned thing and I'm not sure they make them any more. :(

Here's one more vote for the 3/4 length with a stuff sack pillow and my pack under my feet or knees (which I think helps take pressure off the lower back).

I use the comfy Thermarest LE full length mat; but then I am not an ultralight kind of person. I'd rather add a few pounds and have a few luxuries. In the winter I add a full length ridgerest pad.

B. Agnes 3/4 air core w/ full length evasote on top. IMO you only need the cushioning under your shoulders/hips and only insulation under feet. :D

I'm a side sleeper and I found that hanging my feet off the end of a 3/4 pad caused really bad knee pain. I think it was because the knees don't like to bend sideways, although one of mine did quite a few times during and after losing the ACL. ;)

Tony

I've just taken a different approach and find it interesting that those posted before do it differently: I'm 6"2" and have always used a 3/4 pad. Never even gave it a thought about hurting knees, etc. (also tend to do some sideways). For years I have always situated the pad under my shoulders and placed things under head for pillow -- what I just came to realize this past season is that I was MUCH more comforable with the pad pulled under my head where I got better support from my ditty bag of clothes for pillow. It has made a big difference - I found previously that my head "hung" over the pad a/o I had that much more loft to make up -- with the pad under my head I started higher and got better pillow loft (tech talk, huh?) Best part - minor change in pad length on the legs was totally un-noticable. (FYI- I have a combo closed/open cell EMS pad).

Ah ha! 3/4's: One of the few trail advantages for pygmies (the other being the ability to duck under most blowdowns). :) I'm 5'1", so a 3/4 is nearly full length for me. For the few cold trips I've done, I've carried a RidgeRest foam pad as well, just to get off the cold air in the ThermaRest, as recommended by VFTT'ers. That really does the trick.

6'1" with a vote for the 3/4 as others stated for 3 season it is great. I keep pack under my feet and my ensolite sitpad under my head with all of my clothes as a pillow. I save my full length 2" pad and a ridge rest for winter (or car camping).