Slr camera on a winter's hike/climb

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couchybar

Reaction score
Any techniques for keeping the bulky beast readily accessible but out of your way and out of harms way if you take a tumble? :confused:

Thanks

Cameras

I don't think so, Couchybar. Don't fall.

That useful bit of advice aside- I usually keep my SLR camera on a strap around my neck and inside the front of my jacket, for protection and to keep the battery warm. I almost never use my SLR out doors.

I usually use a point and shoot type camera, in a plastic bag in an outer pocket (breast). But this is not a 100% guarantee of safety. Last Aug. I took a header hiking down from the summit of Kings Peak (Utah) and fell against a rock. My ($4.00) point and shoot was OK (pix came out OK), but my (+$200) jacket pocket was shredded.

I recently saw a digital camera that was very small, user friendly that produced really nice images. I may have to upgrade my Pix with this type of technology.

cheers

Last edited:
I got a small Olympus digital for Xmas that takes great shots. My problem is that with all of the snow, it makes it difficult to see the viewfinder when taking the picture. Once it's taken, I can see the shot but several times I have had to reshoot as i missed the top of the peak etc. If I happen to see a rare Mountain lion, I do not think he/she will wait around for me to review the pic and retake it. any advice? I am also going to Scotland this summer and don't want to miss Nessie because of glare offf the water.

Couchybar said:
Any techniques for keeping the bulky beast readily accessible but out of your way and out of harms way if you take a tumble?

I (almost) always carried my SLR in my pack. Too big and vulnerable on my body.

The biggest issues in winter are cold batteries and moisture. My SLR is manual, so batteries were not a problem for me. (Cold also makes lubricants thicker and can cause parts to bind.) To control moisture, I just left my camera cold and avoided exhaling on it. If you need to keep it warm, you may need to keep it in a plastic bag to keep the condensation off of it whenever it is near your warm moist body. You can also keep a spare set of batteries in a warm pocket.

Doug

I carry my D70 in a Lowepro holster type bag that slips on the waist belt of my pack. You can kind of see it under my right arm in this pic and sort of in this one as well. I have a strap from one side up to the top of my pack and, thanks to a suggestion from the Bob half of 'Bob and Geri', now use a second strap attached to a cheap carabiner on the left shoulder strap.

Without the straps the camera and lens is just too heavy for the belt alone. The straps take most of the load but still allow it to float a little so it doesn't get in the way.

The bag has padded internal baffles that can be adjusted to suit the lens and the whole bag has a degree of padding to it.

This rig makes the camera easily accessible and fairly well protected. As a bonus the bag also has a small side pocket and a lid pocket for stashing odd small items you might also want to hand.

I've knocked the camera around a little without any damage but I also invested in a 'no quibble' protection plan from Ritz Camera (no affiliation) that covers it for any damage no matter how it is caused.

Bob

Last edited:
I carry my camera in a small fanny pack in front of me when I hike. Hanging it around my neck doesn't work for me because the camera becomes covered in sweat. Falling has not been an issue for the camera as long as teh pack pocket is fully zippered.

JohnL

Problem solved! Next?

Rugger said:
My problem is that with all of the snow, it makes it difficult to see the viewfinder when taking the picture. Once it's taken, I can see the shot but several times I have had to reshoot as i missed the top of the peak etc. If I happen to see a rare Mountain lion, I do not think he/she will wait around for me to review the pic and retake it. any advice?
Switch back to film -- that way you can't tell whether you have it or not so you won't tempted to try to review or reshoot.

When you think about it, even if you could see the image clearly while composing, you still don't know what the actual picture taken looks like w/o reviewing it, so you could look at it as simply a tremendous convenience to see that you actually did or didn't get the picture before you get home and process the film.

P&S digital (or film) compacts aren't really the ideal weapon for taking wildlife shots, at least, not mountain lions.

Back to Couchbar's original question, I agree with JohnL's solution. I carry an Olympus C-5050 in a dive housing when I go out for winter weekends and it's about the size of an SLR with that rig. The fanny pack worn in front has done a great job, even through face plants on skis. It's fairly easy to protect in falls and is right there to use w/o removing my pack.

The fanny pack's belt fits fine worn high enough around my waist to clear my main pack's hip belt. It would be a stretch to call my f.p. small, but it is quite manageable and doesn't interfere with skiing or hiking -- in practice, it's a nice place to rest my hands while walking. Another plus: spare batteries and other little photo bits all fit in the same bag so I don't have to go digging to change things.

Last edited:
I've carried a SLR camera when rock climbing in a leather case hanging from an adjustable strap, bandolier-style. The case has gotten scratched up, but the camera is fine.

For winter; I carry the camere in the outermost chest pocket of my shell. Its a bit bulky (Kodak DC 10), but the quality of the pictures is worth the hassle. I keep it in a little techwick hat; which seems to keep the camera dry and I can readily clean the lenses in poor weather. There I have quick access to it and its not sticking out snagging on things. I found that if I pack it away; that's where it stays. That said: I imagine that it is only a matter of time until I break it! But I'm going to keep carrying it anyway!

I use my SLR exclusively on my hikes. I find the best way is to hook the following camera bag to the waist-compression straps on my pack/daypack:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4466081&type=product&id=1051384074534

I Have an old SLR so I don't care if it breaks in a fall, and the pouch is padded, so the camera won't hurt me in a fall. Tieing it in on the belt makes it accessable, but out of my way when hiking. To keep the battery warm, I use hand warmers, but this is only needed below 10*F.

-percious

Percious - that's my bag! Works for me but with 3 lbs of camera and lens :eek: the extra support straps makes it better.

Bob

Thanks to all for your input, I have a few ideas to try.
My old olympus digital camera took great shots, untill the lens and viewfinder ices up on bushwacks. My olympus film point and shoot is all weather but it still ices and the picture quality could be much better. Besides picture quality, my digital slr can give me wider angle shots (plus it should be easier to clean the snow and ice off the filter).
Hopefully I can bring it on my planned weekend trip.Will check out some Lowpro bags today. now if only I get get something to help me with my balance :eek:

next project ----> making a trekking pole double as a monopod.

I also use a Lowepro bag, the TLZ-1, and I use straps and 'biners to clip it onto my pack's straps. It ends up approximately in my armpit but out of the way (I don't hit it with my arm or pole).

I can see the shot but several times I have had to reshoot as i missed the top of the peak etc. If I happen to see a rare Mountain lion, I do not think he/she will wait around for me to review the pic and retake it.

It's digital - just keep shooting and review/delete the bad ones later.

Couchybar said:

I assume you know, but just in case you don't...several companies already make them. Most of them (like the Leki poles) have a wooden ball on top that unscrews to reveal a threaded rod just like a tripod mount.

I haven't tried them, but I have always been tempted. If I lug my SLR, then I just lug my tripod too.

- darren

[crossposted from my comments in another thread ]
If you do use a hiking stick for a monopod (i've had one for a few years, it's proved helpful but not superlative), consider buying a swivel head -- it gives you more degrees of freedom to aim the camera than just sticking it on top of the monopod. (e.g. Manfrotto 3229 which also has a quick-release.) *Don't* rely on sticking it into the ground to take a self-portrait; my Kodak & monopod fell down last year, camera is still OK but it scared the @#%@ out of me.

Couchybar said:

I just did this yesterday when I took some pictures in lowish light by holding the pole vertically (with the point in the snow) and holding the side or bottom of the camera against the grip. Not perfect, but it did signifcantly stabilize the camera. Size, cost, and weight were also quite reasonable...

Doug

I picked up the Lowepro top load bag suggested in this this thread. It would not fit the hipbelt on my pack, I wore it on the sternum strap with an elastic safety strap going to a beaner on my shoulder strap. It was always right there tempting me to take too many pictures :eek:

Thanks