snakes (in NH)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Any info on rattlers in NH?

I was told today a participant in a first aid class was told rattlers are here in NH as far north as New London.

Bigfoot

Extremely endangered - only one known location in the state. People dug up their dens just to be rid of the threat. But yeah, in theory their range was as far north as the Whites.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife/Nongame/snakes/profile_timber_rattlesnake.htm

I'd be slightly careful on sunny ledges anyway; you can buy snake eggs online and people sometimes just turn their pets loose when they decide not to keep them.

Any info on rattlers in NH?

I was told today a participant in a first aid class was told rattlers are here in NH as far north as New London.

Bigfoot

Last edited:
Not many rattlers in NH

But there are Northern Water Snakes

40460_1363083512602_1097030147_30836151_7378546_n.jpg

attachment.php

which are sometimes mistaken for poisonous species. This guy was crossing the road in Greenfield NH.

Last edited:
The standard caveat applies that its okay to talk about rattlers in general in the region but generally its requested that specific locations where rattlers were seen should not be mentioned as there are individuals who collect timber rattlers for the illegal trade and apparently if someone knows what they are doing, they can wipe out a local population quickly.

Not a rattler but how about a Milk Snake eating at Northern Red-Bellied snake. From my house in Nottingham, NH this weekend.

The standard caveat applies that its okay to talk about rattlers in general in the region but generally its requested that specific locations where rattlers were seen should not be mentioned as there are individuals who collect timber rattlers for the illegal trade and apparently if someone knows what they are doing, they can wipe out a local population quickly.

Agree 100%. Collectors and others troll the internet for timber rattler info and to try and locate dens.
They can wipe out a nest that has been populated by timbers since the last ice age by waiting for spring emergence or autumn return.

Rattlesnake double-take

When I pulled a log out of a pile of mulch by the barn in Weare, I got a little surprise. The head didn't seem like an immature rattlesnake, but the markings had me staying clear until I ID'd it (as many other patterns are meant to do: keep predators away). Another Eastern Milk Snake.

DSC01759 by cubist11, on Flickr

Great thread and fun pictures everyone; thanks for sharing. I really like the predator-prey shot, Chris, even though Red-bellies are one of my favorite New England species and I hate to see one becoming food :eek:.
I was involved in some field work long ago with a professor who was doing a study in the area where the only Timber Rattlesnake population in NH resides, and its location is information I will take to my grave.
Peakbagger: Holy moley! I've seen em' in the Blue Hills outside of Boston, but never quite this close! I understand that they are not quick to strike, and have been told they have to feel really threatened to defend themselves, but I just can't imagine being this brave! Wow!!! :eek:

Great thread and fun pictures everyone; thanks for sharing. I really like the predator-prey shot, Chris, even though Red-bellies are one of my favorite New England species and I hate to see one becoming food :eek:.

I do too! This year was the first we've seen red-bellies in our field. I didn't want to interrupt nature though (we watched this progress from start to finish over the course of two hours).