snow amounts?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
ok, does anyone know how much snow we got where in the mountains? i heard 18 inches new snow on mansfield summit so far. I want to hike tomorrow and wondering if anyone knows anything

NY and range in VT with Mt Mansfield/Stowe definitely got hit hardest from weather reports I saw. I drove through Franconia Notch yesterday AM on way to Waumbek and it had 4-5" of wet snow. Looked like it may have even been plowed. Top of Waumbek had a lot of spots with about 8" of snow. Had 2" at base on roads in area. Even coming home in the afternoon Franconia Notch still had about 2" of snow. Looked like someone even took a snowboard down the slopes on Cannon! Saw some figure 8's coming down one of the shorter trails toward the lake. Never know it was the end of May yesterday.

All the webcams in those links are down in the valley - you have to read the descriptions. The Whiteface cams you are looking at (the oval, the jumping complex, cross country ski complex) are all "in town" at or below 2000'. Snow accumulation line was at 2500'. (It snowed hard at my house at 1800', but all melted on contact, and did not acumulate.) From 2500' up, accumulation increased rapidly. The 32" were at Whiteface summit ~4800'. I imagine the other several high peaks at or above that elevation got just as much.