Snow in High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
You can see snow at high elevations in the High Peaks. Has anybody been up there in the past few days. How much snow? Are the summits icy?

We're headed up Saturday for Colvin and Blake. Not bringing shoes...I'll let you know how its looking.

peace
Oysterhead

I am jealous. :) Ever since moving to VA I have been celebrating and mourning the coming of the first snow in the High Peaks. I get my snow-lust fix when I can get up North, but it always seem so short lived. My poor snow shoes mourn as well. Sink a crampon for me!!!

This was Marcy last Sunday 10/17. We carried snowshoes but didn't need them. One in our group used crampons and seemed to have an easier time on the slick rocks. Dome was covered with rime ice and snow making the rocks slippery. It has warmed up a little since Sunday. Not sure if snow will be there this week-end.

Spots on the ridge trail were icy, nothing that couldn't be negotiated. Snow was present in spots, between 1 and 3 inches. It was all melting very quickly.

North sides of colvin and blake were quite icy with patches of mabye 1 to 2 inches of snow.

Oysterhead

Mt. Marcy - Snow and Ice

We hiked Mt. Marcy on 10/23 and found ice from 3500' to 4000' with snow from there up to the summit. We should have brought crampons but we made it without them but took our time. At the summit there were some drifts 6+ inches but stiil a lot of bare rock. This was #46 for my son and I so we were determined to complete the hike in spite of the winter conditions. I expect to carry full winter gear for any future hikes this season. The ground is frozen and any snow we get is most likely here to stay.

Definitely snow up in Northern Vermont, in the Jay peaks. This was on 10/23/4. From about 3000' and up, there was snow on the slopes and sometimes icy spots on the trail. The most we saw was about 2" in patches.

Was on Marcy yesterday and conditions were about the same as adksteve had mentioned except we found snow and ice at about 3000 ft. We also didnt use crampons and found it quite slick but made it going nice and slow.