Snow Mt Maine/Access Permission?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
Several years ago before hiking Snow Mt in Maine I had to request permission in order to pass through the gate at Couburn Gore into the logging area where the unmaintained trail to the summit starts about 6 to 7 miles in. I also understand this summit trail can be accessed off RT 27 via a few logging roads that don't require passing through a manned gate. Two questions. Do you still need special permission to pass through the gate up at Coburn Gore? If so, who is the contact for this permission? I seem to have lost my information from a previous trip. Second, does anyone know where to enter off RT 27 where permission is not required? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Redwood

The road is not plowed from Rt. 27 this winter. That makes it quite a long day.

I think the better option is from the Canada Rd.

in Gene's notes, he gives the contact info for access, but as far as I can tell, it's on industrial land and not the land of Big Island Camps.

If I said I hadn't gone there without permission, I might be fibbing... or I might not be... I can't remember...

either way, I think there was at least one trip report posted from that approach so far this winter.

spencer

The best access I think is via Gene's directions to the hundred highest though I can't speak for this as a winter route ... if unplowed I can envision it a good XC ski to the vicinity of Snow Pond.

Perhaps five years ago I had considered the Big Island Pond route (not shown on this topo but shown elsewhere ... maybe in Delorme???) and wrote to somebody to inquire about access via the camps. I received a very nice letter in return but it was too restrictive for us; at the time access was limited to Mon-Thur and between something like 8AM - 4 PM.

This camp is on leased land and owned by an exclusive private group.

Gene warns of a possible gate at the Canada Road access but that, too, assumes you have permission from the private camp unless you plan on some bushwahacking.