SNow or lack thereof 1_26_10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannon on Sunday

Ok...to take snowshoes or to NOT take snowshoes?

Crampons...probably...would LOVE to leave the snowshoes at home if I could :)

Barring signficant snow, I would leave them home, but then again, I am not very intensely driven to summit, so if the conditions turn bad, I always have the option of turning around ;). This is when a pair of those dion unlralight snowshoes would come in handy.

The models are still steering the next 2 storms, Saturday's and Tuesday's, to the south of us. My brother in South Jersey has more snow than I have at this point, and he has more coming! Grouseking, you probably should have stayed down south in the snow belt.;)

Peterborough has rec'd 46" so far this year, and the snow was great until last week's rain. Last year we rec'd 70" through Feb 3rd and got 25" after that.

I hope that this year's track starts heading north this year. I have 2 ski trips coming up soon!

The models are still steering the next 2 storms, Saturday's and Tuesday's, to the south of us. My brother in South Jersey has more snow than I have at this point, and he has more coming! Grouseking, you probably should have stayed down south in the snow belt.;)

Peterborough has rec'd 46" so far this year, and the snow was great until last week's rain. Last year we rec'd 70" through Feb 3rd and got 25" after that.

I hope that this year's track starts heading north this year. I have 2 ski trips coming up soon!

Hahaha, never. For every big snow winter they get, we get 5.

Two people yesterday morning told me it looked like Randolph (NH) picked up 6" of snow along Rte. 2 over Wednesday night.

I was at Pond of Safety yesterday and it looked like 5" of new snow. Later near South Pond in Stark there was 2" new snow. Here in Gorham it was 1-2".

I can't beleive the amount of snow we have gotten in south jersey (I'm in Cape May County) this year; probably close to 4 feet to date. Of course it does not last but several storms have left enough snough to go out on snow shoes of cross country skiis the dya of or day after. I had at leat a foot of snow in my yard last Sunday and got an additional 3 inches Monday night. Most of it has melted but we are supposed to get another dumping tonight. Hoping there's enough to go to a local state park or across the road to the golf course with my skiis.

I can't beleive the amount of snow we have gotten in south jersey (I'm in Cape May County) this year; probably close to 4 feet to date. Of course it does not last but several storms have left enough snough to go out on snow shoes of cross country skiis the dya of or day after. I had at leat a foot of snow in my yard last Sunday and got an additional 3 inches Monday night. Most of it has melted but we are supposed to get another dumping tonight. Hoping there's enough to go to a local state park or across the road to the golf course with my skiis.

Enjoy your blizzard warning!! THough you might mix with rain and sleet early this evening and tonight, you're still going to get over a foot. Incredible.

Unusual Snowy Maryland Winter

We are having one of the best winters in Maryland. 5 inches last Sunday, another 5 this past Wednesday and today and tomorrow forecast is for a major storm with 12" to 20"+ by tomorrow evening. More snow for next week. Haven't seen anything like this since '95-'96 winter.
Regardless, we'll still coming up to NH for vacation in a few weeks.
Hopefully, you will get a storm or two soon.

Donna:)

First time out in the forest in about two months on Sunday...off-trailing in the Sandwich Range...about a foot and a half average between 3300' and 2700' on the northern slopes.

I was wondering if bears are effected in their dens, if insulation becomes insufficient at some point.

This mating moose couple demonstrates the depth at 2900', but I don't think they mind :rolleyes:

IMG_5772aaa.jpg

IMG_5745aaa.jpg

IMG_5708aaa.jpg

mmmm...hobblebush buds!

IMG_5728aaa.jpg

pray for snow :)

Last edited:
Damn. I had 4 days of playing in the snow. After it was all over, we had about 26-28 inches. The storm now, for Cape May, is RAIN!!! IT snowed last night but this AM RAIN!! WHINE

Downhill skied at Waterville Valley on Tuesday (2/09).

Upper mountain was closed and covered with nice brown grass and a few patches of man-made snow.

Yuck.
cb