snow shoe skiis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecc

Reaction score
My husband just tried a pair of those very short and fat ski/snow shoe hybrids with the built in mohair skins. On a previous thread, almost everyone speculated that they wouldn't be useful in the back country.
Well, for a certain type of person they are apparently awesome! He loved them. He's an intermediate skier with a lot of fear (the bigger they are, the harder they fall sydrome) and he was able to confidently climb and descend some steep pitches with plenty of protruding rocks and logs to manoeuvre around. I tried them briefly and couldn't wait to get my skiis back on, but for him they were the answer to his prayers.
I think if you suffer from a large fear factor, are a hefty person (so that you can get some glide out of them), and find snow shoes too slow, these may be something to check out.
It may be good for your partner too, if he or she wants to ski tougher terrain and you don't feel up to it on skiis.
ecc

I took a look at some Karhu Metas at the LLBean outlet in Freeport this past weekend.

Built in synthetic skins, with what I'd consider a nontechnical binding (light plastic ratchet straps, akin to a snowshoe).

I was very surprised to find out how heavy they are -- 4 pounds per pair, with the stock "Karuflex" bindings. (You can also find them with 75mm.) I have some snowblades (admittedly, very different use -- i.e. you wouldn't want to climb in mine) which weight about half as much, but have alpine bindings for downhilling.

The skins cover roughly 40% of the base, located in the middle of the ski. Skins feel OK in terms of one-way action.

They were Karhus, but other than that, I don't know the precise model. They were somewhat heavy, but no heavier than bc or tele skiis. The bindings on these looked like snow board bindings. They offered a good amount of control. I was able to do a few tele turns with them on.
Three Rivers Sports in Wells, NY has a pair available to rent if you want to try them.
ecc

I just looked at the link el-bagr supplied and judging by looks, I'd say we tried the Karver model.
ecc

Quick review of Yupi skishoes

My wife and I tried out a pair of Yupi skishoes. We bushwacked and then climbed a logging road in about 18" of powder. The ascent was trouble free, skins working as advertised. On the descent there was some initial falling over, but after sticking to strictly telemark turns the trip down was painless. I was able to get up some speed on the flats as well with a X-Country style stride.
The bindings are snowboard style. They worked equally well with my size 12 NF Chillcats and my wife's size 7 Bugabootoos.
Pros: Gliding over the snow is great for the impatient types. I can't wait to try them in very deep powder. Binding and construction seem almost unbreakable
Cons: They are heavy. Especially in comparison to my MSR Denalis. I'm not sure about the downhills with a full pack, either.
-- Bob M.

Salomon Blades

I use Salomon Blades and even though they were advertised as back country skis I find they are a great compomise between snow shoes and skis. They are very agile in the trails, easy to turn and control. You loose glide on the flats but ski out of trails easily. I would not recomend them for steep climbing but they track up easily on moderate grades. But don't be fooled they are not a downhill ski as Salomon claims.