Snowshoe bindings, Tubbs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orphic Seth

Reaction score
Time for some snowshoes! My planned winter escapades this year demand a pair, the paycheck allows for it, so its time to get some!

I'm poking around the Tubbs over other brands because I can get a nice deal through a friend.

My question is about the bindings.

The Elevation has somewhat standard binding but with straps and buckles that look as though they can get all nice and frozen.

The Altitude has a wrap around binding that looks easier to use when all stuck up with frozen snow, however I wonder if the larger plastic parts themselves with become stiff and unpliable in the colder temps. Any ideas, comments? Anything is appreciated.

edit: I'll be using these for dayhikes, potentially an overnighter or two, and maybe to approach some backcountry slides, but I'll be in alpine ski boots, so only if they fit into these things (unlikely...and I'll just stick to my skins).

Last edited:
If you must have tubbs, try to find the old TD-91s. They are IMHO the best bindings available. The wrap-around bindings are supposed to be horrible from what I have read. They cut off circulation, and if they fail (and they often do) there is no easy way to hodge-podge a solution. I have the TD-91a and they are great.

-percious

I have Tubbs with the wrap-around binding (bear claw, I think they call- it.) I would also go with the other one... I don't have problems with the plastic but I find my foot slips out of it after a while (no matter how tight I make them) so I have to stop and refasten them alot.

- Ivy

The Elevation seems to have replaced the Pinnacles. They should be better then the Altitude's. The Elevation's deck looks the exact same as the Pinnacles but the binding is new. Also the crampons aren't the Vipers. They are new also. Only the mountains carry Viper. Which is a more aggressive crampon.

Tubb's will swap bindings for you for free. At least with the Pinnacles. They're pretty good about this stuff and keeping us happy.

I've got 3 pairs of Pinnacles and switched the Bear Hug's to T-91's.
I like the Pinnacle's especially the stainless steel viper crampons on them since most trails in N.E. are packed and lots of ice spots.

We have a pair of Altitudes we put T-91's and Vipers on also.

I had 3 pairs of Sherpa's Mountain's and sold them for the Tubb's since I found the Tubb's to be a bit lighter and my heel stayed centered on the shoe. Also the Viper's were better on packed snow and ice. The decking is tuff too on the Pinnacles vs. the lacing getting beat on rock's here in N.E.

You might be able to get last years Pinnacles on sale and switch to T-91's.

Good Luck

Jim

Last edited:
We've had Tubbs snowshoes with and without the Bear Hug bindings for several years. Use them for day trips and after work exercise.

The Bear Hug bindings hold great, are easy to adjust, and can be made as snug as you want (be carefull not to over tighten a you can put too much pressure on your foot)

We have had a binding break, but I think it was due to strapping it tight against the pack and bending it back and forth too much. Tubbs replaced it with no questions asked.

Having used both we prefer the Bear Hug binding as it is easier to put on and adjust with mittens.

Great replies, and quick too! Awesome.

Ok, so let's say I find a pair with the TD-91's, what's the best people have found as far as sizes are concerned? Without gear, I'm 150, and will be doing most of my hiking in N.H. Again, the same parameters exist as above... dayhikes, maybe some overnighters, etc. I'm thinking 25" instead of 30" due to maneuvering and the harder and thicker snows we routinely get. Although I've been up to my nipples in champagne powpow before out here...

Any thoughts on this?

Edit: Well, I think I just answered my own question and I'm gonna stick with the 25" unless someone unreveals a stupendous secret deep from the annals of snowshoeing.

I can't wait!

Last edited:
You can go with either the 25 or 30. Most would say 25 I personally like my 30's. With the 30's you can float well in 20+ inch snows and they still work good with packed trails. They may get in the way but after a few times you get use to them. The 25's are good on packed trails but if you get into some deep snow they wont float half as well as the 30. Unless you can afford 2 pairs.

I agree. Stick with the 25s. I have the thirties, but I weigh 170 without my pack, and I use mine primarily for backpacking, where I will weigh upwards of 220lb with a pack. The 25s will probably float just fine in deep snow for someone who is only 150lb. I am currently looking for a cheap set of MSRs for hiking on hard packed/spring trails.

-percious

Just a note that Tubbs was bought out by some sport corporation last year. They announced a few months back that they are closing the Stowe, Vermont factory and moving all snowshoe production overseas.

If I was in the market for new snowshoes, I would not buy Tubbs. Just my opinion. Lots of other good snowshoes out there.

I have the Altitudes with the Bear claw, hug, snuggle, squeeze... binding and for the most part it works pretty well.

I find the bindings easy to latch given my bad back and that was what I was primarily looking for when I got them.

My biggest gripe is that on steep downhills my feet tend to work forward in the bindings. I keep meaning to knock up a small toe lip to prevent this.

I swapped out the alloy crampons for the steel ones but got charged an arm and a leg for the priviledge, ah well.

I'd also second going with the 25's unless you know you'll be doing a lot of trail breaking. I got the 30's to start with based solely on all-up weight, but for packed out trails they are overkill.

Bob

HikerBob said:
I have the Altitudes with the Bear claw, hug, snuggle, squeeze... binding and for the most part it works pretty well.

I'd also second going with the 25's unless you know you'll be doing a lot of trail breaking. I got the 30's to start with based solely on all-up weight, but for packed out trails they are overkill.
The plastic ratchet bindings do cut off circulation in thin boots and if you have small feet put them too far forward so the shoe tends to nosedive into the snow - I watched someone go thru a day of agony. Of course if you use oversize plastic boots this is not an issue.

I can remember when 10x36 snowshoes were the shrimpy size, but for NH 4K they are probably overkill unless you go out after big storms by yourself. For anyone who is serious about all kinds of snowshoeing and has 2 packs, 2 pairs of boots, 2 parkas, why not get the 2 pairs of snowshoes? My smallest are 12x18 and perfect for the times they stay on my pack the whole day :)

I went with 30's also as I'm 6'2". With my winter day pack of 20 plus pounds with crampons,etc. I'd rather be over then under.

The 03 Pinnacles with the T7 Easton aluminum weigh 3 1/8 lbs. total I believe. They are lighter than the Sherpa Mountains 30in. and older Pinnacles.

My only problem with the bear hugs (other than the fact that bears have horrible breath!) is that the tongues are quite short for use on plastic boots. Also, with big mittens on, those little handles are kinda hard to get hold of.

Hey, winter's coming! :D

My first pair of snowshoes just came in UPS today. I got the 30" tubbs altitude with the td-91 binding from campmor.

I saw that at campmor fpr $190 for the 36".. i want to buy also but to scared to ask the wife for an advance of my allowance!

tubbs snowshoes

i have both the tubbs pinnacles and the altitudes. i like them both very much, each has a different type of bindings: the pinnacles have the bear hug and the altitudes have a kind of snap binding like you'd see on rollerblades for example. anyway both are easier to use then many of the other snowshoe bindings i've seen. i use the pinnacles when doing hiking with more snow and ice and where i'll be doing more climbing. the crampons on them are real aggressive and i like that. i use the altitudes on flatter easier terrain or when there's less snow. i was lucky, i got both on sale: the pinnacles i found for $99 and the altitudes i got during the summer last year for $40 brand new! go figure. i haven't had problems with either but i have small feet; i could see where the bear hug might be a problem for larger feet or if you want to wear big plastic boots - why you would wear expensive plastic boots to snowshoe is beyond me (unless you are ice climbing) -- but that's been another thread! :p

Orphic Seth,

I second (or was it third, fourth, or fifth) the recommendation for the TD91 binding. I would strongly discourage you from using the Bear Hug binding. The foot slips forward too easily, it creates pressure points on the tops of the feet, and it is not easy to repair in the field if it breaks (small parts, pins, etc.). The first year or so the Bear Hug binding came out, I saw many break on the trail, and heard from numerous others that encountered the same problem. Tubbs says that they have fixed the molding process to alleviate this (and I'm sure they have), but it still seems like an accident waiting to happen.

One thing that nobody has mentioned is steel vs. aluminum crampons. The Altitude has aluminum crampons. In the mixed conditions we often see in the Northeast, if you use the snowshoes with any regularity, you will quickly wear out the points on the aluminum crampons. Be sure to go for a model with steel crampons. Like one poster said earlier, Tubbs will exchange the Bear Hug binding for the TD91 if you like.

If you've decided that you want a pair of 25" Tubbs with the TD91 bindings and the steel Viper crampons, email me. I purchased two pairs of rentals (in excellent condition) two years ago and only really need one pair. I will let the one pair go at less than half price. (Moderators, if this is considered selling, etc. and deemed inappropriate, just email me and I will edit the post.)

John

Johnnycakes!

One day too late my friend! Thanks for the heads up. Last night I purchased a pair of Tubbs 25" from Bean (trailbreaker or master or something like that) for a price that I don't think can be beat for a new pair. From all appearances it seems that it's the same as the pinnacle/altitude and it comes with the TD-91 bindings. I don't know if they're aluminum or steel, but if they're the alu. I'll just call Tubbs and swap them out when they get worn down. Needless to say, I'm very stoked.

Thank you all for your advice, it comes very appreciated.

Ooh! Ooh! They came in! Very nice. Very nice.

It's raining like insane, c'mon, 20 deg. colder...c'mon!