Snowshoe Dayhike in VT Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn.goat

Reaction score
I'm staying in Ludlow VT next weekend (Martin Luther King weekend) and am looking for a good one day snowshoe trip (6-10mi) that I can do with my dad. I'd like it to be challenging (decent vertical) and have good views and not need anything over stabilicers in regard to traction devices (I have crampons but my dad only has the stabilicers). Right off the top of my head I can think of Camel's Hump, Hunger Mtn and Killington (don't know how this would be in the winter considering it's a ski area). I'm not sure if the first two would be okay with stabliciers. I'm willing to drive as far north as Camel's Hump (2 hour drive) but would prefer something an hour away (Killington, Stratton region). Any ideas or suggestions? I'll need as many as possible considering if the weather is bad (windy) I won't be able to do anything with alpine areas. Thanks!

Last edited:
Last year at the Winter Gathering, which was at Unfrozen CaveMan's place just outside Ludlow, we did a couple of nice hikes up the Weathersfield Trail on Ascutney and up Okemo (Ludlow) Mt.

Shrewsbury Peak is a good one, and you can continue on to Killington from there if you're in the mood. You can also climb Killington from the backside. The summit isn't skiable.

VT dayhikes

Stratton from the south (mostly gentle to moderate, Killington from the west (Buckin trail mostly gentle to moderate, but at least one brook crossing near bottom may be tricky and summit pitch from hut to top may be tough without crampons but there are trees to grab on this short section), Camels Hump from east via Monroe trail, and Ascutney via Weathersfield trail all great day hikes and not too demanding, perfect for father-son bonding! Go for it! Lousy weather and likely sloppy conditions here now, depending on what the next week brings stabilizers and/or snowshoes with agressive cleats may be handy. Go for it!
-John

Bromley is good too, about 5-6 miles round trip, I think. There is skiing at the top, hikers do not cross or reach the ski trail until .2 miles from the summit. It is easy to stay to the side of the trail and out of the skiers way. Some of them get a hoot out of seeing someone who walked up the mountain rather that taking the chairlift. I've never needed crampons or stabilicers, only snowshoes. Bromley's trailheads are accessible from VT11/130 or from Mad Tom Notch. The latter requires a little bit of a unplowed road walk.

I second Ascutney, but would also add the Brownsville and Windsor Trails to the list. Both great trails and the view from Brownsville Rock (on both trails near the top) and Blood Rock (on Windsor Trail) are superb.
Don't forget Ludlow Mountain, right around the corner! Healdsville Trail is 3.3 each way (I think) and is a nice, moderate ascent through a wonderful forest. At the top, there is a fire tower with exceptional views.