Snowshoe recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HVDave

Reaction score
Howdy,

This is shaping up to be my (and my wife's) first winter of serious hiking, and we were looking to invest in a decent (but not outrageous) pair of snowshoes...

What are some good models/brands to look at...what are the factors that need to be considered when buying snowshoes?

Anything else I should be thinking about for winter hiking, outside of lots of layers?

Snowshoe options

I suggest you see the thread on the seame subject that was started by Sid Yamel on 10/18.

Havlick Snowshoes. Locally made in the Adirondacks. No middleman so prices are kept down, considerably. Some people find that an ankle strap is needed and thus add one. Good, thick crampons -- eighth-inch thick aluminum

Moose

Last edited:
Considerations when purchasing snowshoes should include the length of the show, which will determine the amount of float you will have on the snow. When purchasing snowshoes, they have recommended weight ratings.

For example The Atlas 1025 snowshoe says its good for 120-200lbs. If you weight 180lbs but will have a 40-50 lb pack, you will want a longer snowshoe. Such as the Atlas 1030, which is recommended for 170-250lbs.

Other things to consider are the type of snow, if its wet packed snow you will need less float than if it is dry fluffy deep snow.

Good luck.

Link to previous snowshoe thread

Here is the link to the other snowshoe thread. You should find plenty of information there. Personally, when buying snowshoes I always put them on and take them off in the store while wearing mittens/gloves. I don't want to discover out in the woods that I have to bare my hands in order to adjust my snowshoes.
-veg

As has been mentioned on other threads, the sizes of snowshoes recommended by the Manufacturers for a given weight often seem to be based on open fields of loose powder, like you would see in Minnesota, for example. If you plan on traveling mostly on trail, definitely get a shoe one size smaller than the recommended size. On a packed trail, you will not posthole, even with a kid's snowshoe. The only reason for any larger size in the deck is to provide flotation in loose snow, off trail. If you plan on traveling broken, packed trails, I would go for the smallest size. If you are going to be bushwhacking, or breaking trail, look for a larger shoe. But even there, remember that no snowshoe truly "floats" on powder; it's just a matter of degree as to how far you sink in, and how much work you are doing with each step.

TCD

I like my MSR Denali Ascents. They have a very easy to use binding and are reasonably priced, especially if you wait for a big sale. They are somewhat noisy on hard-packed trails, but that has never bothered me. The Ascents may not be the best shoe for deep powder, but the optional tails (sold separately) add some flotation. I've used MSRs for a few years now and have never had a problem.

ATLAS 1030s

I like the shoes, but do have one complaint: On both shoes on a long hike last winter (Allen, in fact), the forward inside rivet, which holds the binding to the sole plate at the point, and which also acts as a little crampon tooth, dropped out. The other three straps worked fine, and I did a little repair with some zip ties, but it thought it odd that they both failed in the same way. Atlas nicely sent some repair rivets (which reminds me, time to put those on . . . ). It is a good reminder to carry some sort of repair kit into the more remote areas.