Solo hiking a badge of honor?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a lot of us have hiked solo and some hike solo almost exclusively. Most solo hikers I know enjoy the solitude, and ability to get away from it all.

Am I imagining a new thing where solo hiking is part of the challenge? A lot of FB posts say they did a single day, solo, presi/pemi/whatever, or my first solo Washington.
I guess for some it's conquering their fears, or just informational but some seem to be bragging about solo.

And yes, bragging is part of hiking and Im guilty. The common fun saying about vegans, applies to any list I've finished.
I’ve probably added solo to a post discretion or two but mostly because I was known for group hikes and was just trying to differentiate the fact that instead of being a bunch of random folk with me I just met a bunch of random folk along the way.

I have noticed more people adding it though and do think to some it’s a “look how badass I am”. Others I think are just trying to describe their trip. To me if “ I soloed…” is the the first line they are looking for the adulation, but if they mention they were “out there alone” later in the blurb I think it’s just a description of their experience.

The ones that constantly post speed and times and personal records and shirtless handstands on the same summit annoy me more. But that’s just me being a crotchety old man.

Approximately 3/4 of my NH hikes over the years have been solo but I never thought to separate them from "accompanied" hikes in my record keeping. The only one of note in my mind is soloing Owls Head on a hot August day at the age of 63 to finish the 48. After a while, you start talking to yourself. Would've welcomed company but my friend wanted to do an overnight and I wanted to do it in one day.

... The only one of note in my mind is soloing Owls Head on a hot August day at the age of 63 to finish the 48. After a while, you start talking to yourself. ...

I've definitely done some talking to myself on solo hikes. The worst though is when another solo hiker sneaks up on you and catches you doing it... lol.

This is funny because, I've seen those posts on FB emphasizing the, "solo". I think I've seen one "Soloed the Franconia Loop". That's not even possible. I don't get the bragging about hiking solo. I've solo hiked more than with anyone but it's only because of my agenda vs the people I hike with. I've never said, no one is invited to hike with me today, I want to go solo. I bushwhack (or did) a ton, and that's not necessarily a wise thing to do. Although that's when being alone in the woods is really special. I also done some questionable solo winter hikes. These being some hikes that are rarely done in winter. Again, not really the smartest choice. Certainly nothing to brag about.

I solo hike 95% of the time because that damn Prema is always a few minutes ahead of the old lady!

All kidding aside, we do have safety rules. Like frequent checking back, no going more than 50 feet ahead if head lamps are lit, and waiting for Mom at ALL water crossings and trail junctions.

This is funny because, I've seen those posts on FB emphasizing the, "solo". I think I've seen one "Soloed the Franconia Loop". That's not even possible. I don't get the bragging about hiking solo. I've solo hiked more than with anyone but it's only because of my agenda vs the people I hike with. I've never said, no one is invited to hike with me today, I want to go solo. I bushwhack (or did) a ton, and that's not necessarily a wise thing to do. Although that's when being alone in the woods is really special. I also done some questionable solo winter hikes. These being some hikes that are rarely done in winter. Again, not really the smartest choice. Certainly nothing to brag about.
It's possible if the weather is so bad no sane person would go....

Approximately 3/4 of my NH hikes over the years have been solo but I never thought to separate them from "accompanied" hikes in my record keeping. The only one of note in my mind is soloing Owls Head on a hot August day at the age of 63 to finish the 48. After a while, you start talking to yourself. Would've welcomed company but my friend wanted to do an overnight and I wanted to do it in one day.
I can usually still see the car when I start talking to myself....:eek:

That's why I often had a dog with me. I wasn't solo, she confirmed which way to go by never protesting and following/leading in the direction I seemed to suggest. Plus, she never talked back and between the two of us, we solved the world's problems on each hike.

I hike solo almost all the time, rarely is it ever "alone" until you get into the shoulder seasons and winter and even then, depends on the route. Case in point, I hiked Liberty and Franconia Ridge on Friday by myself but that sure as hell wasn't solo/alone.

I do like the solitude of hiking solo (riding my bike solo too) b/c it gives space for the mind to wander and your speed is your speed, no waiting up or catching up. It's nice to backpack with people for the social camp aspect when you get there but a lot of my former partners on into the replaced hips/knees phase (The Whites are not kind to your joints). But then again, the solitude of spending a night out on your own is a beautiful thing.

If there's such a thing as a badge of honor, it's when I felt competent enough with my skills to solo winter overnights. That is usually truly solo, especially if I go up midweek.

Unless you are hiking in grizzly country, I am not impressed with solo hiking ;)

I crunched my numbers and it turns out I hike solo 67.5% of the time.
Well, I can't crunch the numbers since I have been doing this since the mid 60s, but...even accounting for 4 years of intensive backpacking in the Whites as a teen at summer camp, I would estimate that 95% of my hiking has been alone.

Unless you are hiking in grizzly country, I am not impressed with solo hiking ;)
I have soloed in CA, CO and of course NH. Pretty much solo most of my hiking life, 99% and the last 12 years with a dog. One of my few rules, I never hiked or will hike in Grizzly country. Nope not happening, could I do it if I prepared? yes, would I enjoy it? Hell no. While I cannot predict how I will leave this wonderful life, I can assure you this, I've taken eaten by a bear off the table.