South Baldface climb/hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkn

Reaction score
This was my first hike in this area of NH.

Started with the intent to do the baldface loop trail from south to north. Started the ascent around 10:30a. The hike was uneventful until the trail split where we side-tracked by the emerald pond site; we stopped there for a minute to take in the sight. We continued up the south side of the loop trail. At the split-off of Slippery Brook trail we almost took the wrong trail since all trails on this area seem to share the same yellow marking. Just before arriving at the shelter more snow appeared on the trail we started to post-hole a bit.

We stopped at the shelter for a bite of cheese, then continued to the rock face. We didn't know what we were in for. I put away the trekking poles to free up my hands on the rock face. The climb up the rocky face was much more challenging than I anticipated (in fact i didn't anticipate any rock climbing). The trail was poorly marked, and the cairns were few and far between, the steep angle also made spotting the cairns difficult. I'm not entirely sure we stayed on the trail the whole time. We were expecting to do more hiking and less climbing on this trek. The difficulty of the trail eased just before the junction point with Slippery Brook trail. The rock ascent took us about 1.5 hours (for 0.7 miles of trail). We continued the ascent to the summit and had lunch.

Instead of continuing to North Baldface on the loop trail, we decided to descend back down to the junction and take the Slippery Brook trail. Once we got back into tree cover the snow become more of an issue. We were post-holing a lot and the trail become slick with ice and snow. In hind-sight i wish i had put on my micro spikes as the snow and ice continued for the majority of the trail. When the snow and ides subsided, the trail become damp and muddy.

We finished the hike around 7:30p, so about 9 hours for 9 mile hike, roughly.

yeah, i'd like to go back, mostly to see if that climb is as difficult as i remember it. i think it was all about expectations, didn't expect that steep climb, therefor it seemed difficult. Despite all that, the mud, the snow, the views were still great. The presidentials were still snow capped and made for a great site.

The slippery brook trail is a great option for those who dont want to climb the ledges. Its an old logging grade right up to the ridge. The route along the ridgeline has some bonus views that you dont get using the route up the cliffs. It is also used far less so a nice option of a busy weekend.

Peakbagger is correct, the Baldface Knob Trail has great views, and might as well take a left to hit Eastman Mtn., 52 with a view mt. though when I was there a few years ago, is the view disappearing??? The Baldface Circle loop or/Bicknell Ridge trail loop is a nice "warm up" hike for many other strenuous hikes and could be considered much tougher than quite few 4krs...

awww man, now ya tell me ... :). We should have hit Eastman Mtn, sounds like its worth the extra 1.6 mi hike round trip from the Slippery Brook Trl. But my hiking partner and i were a little shaken after the scramble (new hiking vocab for me) up the South Baldface peak, so we were anxious to get back to our camp. Also the scramble was very time consuming so we were running short on time. But, the peaks will be there another day, wish it wasn't such a long drive from me.

i've talked to a few people since this hike and they don't seem to thing the scramble was all that difficult, which makes me think we must have strayed off trail. We're short and there were several parts where the next rock handle was barely within our reach. Is this a difficult scramble, or is it only hard the first time or is this just a case of differing expectations?