Spanked in the Sewards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't feel too bad.
It took us 3x or 4x to get Seward, Donaldson and Emmons over the course of 3 years.
There were only a few of us chasing the winter 46 at that time, no VFTT Trip Reports to announce what was broken out, and heavy trailbreaking was the norm, even on the "regular" peaks.
BTW, we think our small band of 3 or 4 were one of the first to establish Calkins Brook in winter as the alternative to going over Seward.
When we finally pulled it off, we sledded to the base of CB, shouldered packs, and established a high camp directly on the frozen brook at around 3,500'-3,600'. Did the 3 peaks the next day.

We ran into the legendary Dick Chrenko on our climbing day. He was soloing the peaks for one of his innumerable winter rounds.
Dick was an early winter 46er and one of the early exponents of light, fast and fit daytrips.

Cornbread - thanks for the suggestion. I'm spending the afternoon at Home Depot so I'm sure I'll have it all worked out by the end of the day.

Peakbgr: I don't feel bad - I now have another excuse to go back!

Arm, yes a fine trip. The drive is a bit rough, but I had a blast (afte Friday). Interesting to see how fast the sled lost it once the first arm failed. This was trip #4, and it had worked well in the others.

Sled

Great report, SK! The Sewards are tough any time of the year, and more so in poor winter conditions. I attempted that trail a couple weeks ago, and didn't get as far as you (I promised not to tell more than that!). So even after 33 ADK peaks, I'm still getting skunked sometimes. No trip is a failure if you are able to get out there and hike, slog, tramp, ski or climb in the great outdoors. My last attempt, however was a spectacular failure. "I'll be back". Give it another try when everything is frozen, and good luck! -ALG

To anyone interested,here is the new improved "Beast2004" pivoting arm system. I think this will work well. The arms are able to pivot independently (they are not connected beneath the PVC pipe), yet maintain lateral stability. (Note: I may decide to replace the PVC center with metal pipe).

I'm hoping that simpler is better...

Last edited:
Looks like a good modification.
What we use are lightweight bamboo poles, like you can get free at a carpet store.

Using1/4" nylon rope, you run them thru holes drilled in the bamboo and lashed to a small wooden plate you screw to the front of your KMart sled. You then rig up a small belt and lash the other end to the belt.

The poles are rigid enough to keep the sled from sliding into you on a downgrade and the rigging durable enough but flexible enough to really work. The poles and rope weigh next to nothing and even I can rig one..

PB

PeakBagr: My reason for wanting lateral stability is that I like to ski with the sled. WIthout the lateral stiffness, the sled goes back and forth behind me, somewhat uncontrolled. I'll agree that the first goal iso to keep the sled away from the feet. Second is to have it controlled side to side.

sled

Looks good Sherpa. Thanks for posting, it helps me prepare to tackle mine when I'm ready.

donna