spiders on the kank

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper

Reaction score
Is it just me or have others noticed more webs across the trail on the trails starting from the kank?when we start early in the am we run into webs every 3-10 ft. all near face hight.This was on olvarian/passacoaway,trail to carrigain,trail to hancocks,ect.many more webs than on our numerous hikes in the dak's.We end up caring a branch and walk along sweeping them away.Are there more spiders in the white's than the dak's and vermont or a different breed that goes after hikers rather than insects?Hey we loved every min in the white's in spite of the spiders and rain.

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train,I'd shine my light through the cool colorado rain.(GD)

"Spiders on the Kanc" sounds like an awesome name for a punk band... :D

I think that it has more to do with an early start and/or being the first one(s) to head up those particular trails than a higher population of spiders in the Whites compared to the other regions. I am an "early starter", and have done my share of eating webs for breakfast, but I have never noticed any significant difference between the Whites of NH and any of the other Northeastern States...

Swiping them down with a branch or pole is a better method than what I use, which is nothing... :)

I don't know about more on the Kanc...

But....

Spider webs on the face has to be one of my most hated things while hiking.

The trails you hike are they popular? If not that may likely be why you feel more webs. No other hiker recently broke through the webs.

You need to take turns breaking trail - through the webs that is. I hate it when they stick to my eyelashes. :eek:

I too like to start my hikes early in the morning and usually the first one up most trails, so I end up clearing most of the webs for others. I guess everyone does their share to clear them out in the morning. However, it just seems like as soon as someone goes through one, those little buggers just get right back out there and rebuild it right away. You would think if you were a spider and your webs just kept on getting taken down you would move to a different area?

Mostly just after it's rained or during light rain?

grasshopper said:
webs every 3-10 ft. all near face hight
It's been my experience that this occurs early in the a.m. like you say but also particularly when it's been raining and everything is wet. I don't enjoy it either; the worse case of webs that I can remember was on Flume Slide. :)

I also dislike spider webs in the AM, but have eaten my fair share. More than once I've hiked for miles and miles with one Komperdell at a 45° angle in front of me.

I did notice a difference when I switched from aluminum to carbon poles...

Most of the people I hike with are shorter than me, so even if they lead, I still get the webs in the face. Anyone make a "spider web elimination device" that will attach to a pack? Seems like it'd be a moneymaker to me.

I read somewhere that because of this year's combo of heat and moisture, the bug and spider numbers have increased. I know I've been running into webs in all kinds of spots, inside and out. And they do make for a nice, pre-digested breakfast for us early risers. :rolleyes:

Yep, another early morning go-getter here so I am very used to breaking through webs early AM. That's pretty usual. I haven't noticed any more or less this year.

Spiders are particularly frantic in autumn as each approaches the end of its life-cycle. Webs to be strung, mates to be found, eggs to be laid and hidden. Then, frost and death. They sense it coming.

Happens EVERY MORNING when I go out in my backyard to let the dogs out....i've sooo gotten used to it.

M

Think of the arachnids as our friends ... they help keep the count of bigger insect nuisances down.

When we find them at home, we thank them for their assistance and very gently move them outside.

Bats are another thing we like seeing flying around ... outside.

When I get spider webs in my face, I know I'm the first one on the trail, and therefore will likely be the only one at the summit, and you can't beat that. I have always wondered, though, how on earth they can string that web between two so very distant trees. Do they jump? Does the wind blow them? Do they attach it at one end, run down the trunk, across the trail and up the other trunk, and then reel in the slack? Any ideas?

Umsaskis said:
When I get spider webs in my face, I know I'm the first one on the trail, and therefore will likely be the only one at the summit, and you can't beat that. I have always wondered, though, how on earth they can string that web between two so very distant trees. Do they jump? Does the wind blow them? Do they attach it at one end, run down the trunk, across the trail and up the other trunk, and then reel in the slack? Any ideas?

From my understandng these spiders..orb spider and cob-footed spider families, I believe will have hatchings. These little spiders will anchor themselves on a leaf, twig etc with a web and wait for a breeze to carry them away. The web they spin as they bow through the air acts to keep thier glide under some control.

I never hike without my handtowel. Not only do I use it for wiping sweat and swatting flies, I also use it to wipe off webs.

Webs are a small price to pay for being the only/first hiker on a trail for the day! :)

Happy Trails!