Squam

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Ok, kind of embarassed about this. I have lived in my house now for 14 years, less than 1/2 hour from Squam, and last Sunday was the first time I went there for a kayak... :eek:

The first, but surely not the last!

We jumped off 'jumping rock', watched 3 eaglettes and an eagle on Little Loon Island, broke my toe on Loon Island, saw and heard loons, stopped for lunch and swam in the middle of Yard islands with a beautiful sandy beach, got our feet nibbled on by little fishies and had a great day out!

What a beautiful spot to explore and hang out. Enough shade for me, and I am fish belly white, and clear waters to swim and play in.

A good reminder for me that sometimes summer can be okay! ;)

(my friends tell me I have Polar Bear blood, since 50* is warm enough for me.)

this weekend

We are going there camping this coming weekend. It will be our second time at Squam. Great place.

Moon

We will be on Moon - Campsite #1 - it's a camping with kids weekend - stop by and say hello :)

Couldn't resist another beautiful day out paddling around Squam again!

Put in at the Center Harbor Town beach, paddled around Moon, Bowman and Yard Islands.

Saw an eagle scoop a fish out of the water and land in a dead tree to eat its sushi for lunch. Didn't see if it had any wasabi or pickled ginger though...

Had a wonderful time hanging out at the Yard Islands with Biff and Muffy and aunt Marge and Uncle Frank and Lloyd and the rest of the clan.

Nice paddle back and a great dinner at the Corner House. Mmmmm Corner House. For once I refrained from the beer battered fries.

Super fun day!

;)

some pics

5951105863_5d0547bab5_b.jpg

5947866948_0f04e09b7d_b.jpg

5951661736_97a21de544_b.jpg

5947858670_cc7c5897ee_b.jpg

Yes, you can put in there and at the Center Sandwich Town Beach as well. They simply ask you to be respectful of residents and to park on the road to the right of the bridge (from the Center Harbor Town Beach) or just on Bean Road for the Center Sandwich Town Beach.

Seems more than fair to leave the 'good' parking spots for residents.

There are a few other side roads you can put in on as well.

Nice lake to paddle and swim in and enjoy.

Went back for 3rd weekend in a row.

May make it four! It has been a nice break for my toe to get it rested up and ready for some hiking!

Squam is amazing, so many interesting corners of the lake.

If you want to explore Squaw, Rattlesnake, Bear, and Otter Coves you can put in on Metcalf Road in Sandwich. There's a small parking area beside the road just feet from the lake right around here.

You could make it into an easy hike/kayak day by climbing the Butterworth Tr up East Rattlesnake.

...If you want to explore Squaw, Rattlesnake, Bear, and Otter Coves you can put in on Metcalf Road in Sandwich. There's a small parking area beside the road just feet from the lake right around here...

Yes, we just found this launch area yesterday. Got some nice photos of a loon pair on Squaw Cove.

And photos of a juvenile eagle on the main part of the lake.

A few weeks ago I put in at the southern tip of Dog Cove. The access is off of Route 25B. Parking is limited and you need to carry your boat down a rocky rooty trail for about 100'.

We found the Metcalf Road launch and am really glad we did!

I'll have to check out the Dog Cove one as well, want to explore that area a bit more too.

Hum, I either need to lift weights more or get a lighter kayak I can carry myself without too much effort...

Looks like my 'fleet' will be growing...

;)