Standard Moosilauke, With a little bit of new trail added in 8/18/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
IMG2231-L.jpg

I went on what is possibly my 500th summit of Mt Moosilauke last Saturday. But it never disappoints! I brought (she says dragged) my girlfriend along, though I think she enjoyed it, to the point where we may be doing other larger scale hikes in the future, possibly more 4000 footers.

view from the lodge
IMG2185-L.jpg

Soon after the trip started, there was a little bit of new trail that I wasn't expecting. In fact, I hadn't seen this mentioned in previous trail reports up the Moose-a relocated section of the Gorge Brook trail, courtesy of Irene.

IMG2192-L.jpg

The new section was extremely pleasant with no rocks, but fairly muddy.
First view

IMG2198-L.jpg

Nearly the summit
IMG2210-L.jpg

At the summit, with 55 of our closest friends
IMG2217-L.jpg

One of my fav views from the Moose
IMG2214-L.jpg

Interesting clouds, at eye level
IMG2223-L.jpg

Looking back
IMG2248-L.jpg

Great view into the Tunnel Brook Ponds from South Peak
IMG2253-L.jpg

I always like looking down the AT...
IMG2258-L.jpg

Finally, we headed back to the car, with one slight side trip. In the interest of redlining, I decided to hit up a short section of the Hurricane trail, which also meant hiking a 1.4 mile section of the Carriage Path. Once you pass the Snapper Junction, the Carriage Path is a lovely, winding path through the woods, with soft footing, and a nice forest. The same can be said for the one mile stretch of the Hurricane Trail that heads back to Ravine Lodge. Here is a nice section of birches.

IMG2275-L.jpg

Before long, we were back at the lodge, and it was just a short road walk back to our parking spot. Time to scheme and see which mountain I can drag my girlfriend up next time, muahaha. No, really, she enjoyed it. Hope you liked my pics too!

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...lauke/24890321_QjGHgR#!i=2038118937&k=5zkmKWB

grouseking

Boots side note

If some of you look thru my pics, you will see the decrepit state my boots are in...my Asolos have lasted 7 long, hard, and arduous years, but I guess it is time to throw in the towel and buy a new pair. The Vibram sole fell off my left boot on the summit of south peak, and the right boot is not far behind. Here is how the bad boot looked after the hike....it looks diseased!

IMG2277-L.jpg

I don't think shoe goo will help that...

It sure looks like you got all the life you could out of those boots!

Yes I did! Bought em in 2006, and they have finally succumbed to my constant abuse. If I had babied them a bit, I prob could have got another yr out of them.

Agreed! One of the most unique places in the Whites!

Haha great noise! Glad I didn't hear that Saturday.

Moosilauke

Love your pictures!!! They are beautiful...especially the first one. It always takes my breath away. Love the boots too...I had some like that. I kept them and made a plant holder out of them because they were such good boots. haha