Starr King Trail to Mt. Waumbek?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the current conditions on the Starr King trail to Mt. Waumbek? The Smith/Dickerman guide to the 4000-footers states that the trail is excellent for snowshoeing and frequently packed out. I am considering Mt. Waumbek as my 25th 4000-footer attempt. Might try it on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, time and weather permitting.

Thanks-
Ray

The trail up Starr King is one of the more reliable routes that are packed out soon after every sniowstorm. The route between starr king an waumbek is usually packed out but it tends to collect a lot of snow so postholing is much more likely. Over the years I have been caught several times where I barebooted up Starr King only to posthole over to Waumbek.

BTW, if you get cold once you leave the hardwoods and enter the softwoods, be aware that it doesnt get any warmer for the rest of the trip up Starr King. The lower hardwood section is sunny and sheltered from the northwest wind, but once you break the softwoods, the northwest wind really cools things down.

peakbagger said:
The trail up Starr King is one of the more reliable routes that are packed out soon after every sniowstorm. The route between starr king an waumbek is usually packed out but it tends to collect a lot of snow so postholing is much more likely. Over the years I have been caught several times where I barebooted up Starr King only to posthole over to Waumbek.
One of the neighbors used to walk his dogs twice a day up the trail and another neighbor once, so as mentioned the lower part is usually hard packed. But they don't usually go all the way up Starr King and I'm not sure they ever go to Waumbek so that is left for hikers. Note that the trail does not stay on the ridge and can be hard to find in the open woods.

Also, the FS didn't use to plow the parking lot and the neighbors don't want cars parked along the road so you may have to hike from Route 2.