Street & Nye and some silly little peak-"Lost Pond" mtn

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Having completely the regular 46 last August (during Spencer's BBQ weekend), figured it's probably a fantastic time to start my usual wanderings in the ADKs. Basically how I finished the CAT100 or at least starting the CAT100 by rambling in the woods with Mark Schaefer's awesome updates to the ADK Catskill's guide. In any case, our Trap Dyke trip on Saturday was pushed by to an attempt on sunday due to weather conditions. I think we got hit by the same heavy rains that Neil got hit on Iroquois except no hail that we had by us...

In any case, since we were at the Loj, and we had some folks who were not 46rs yet, the group (Gillian, Leaf, ferrisjrf, 7Summits, Dave H + Gillian, Dunbar, and I) decided that we'd hit Street and Nye, except 7Summits had some kind of stomach bug and decided to head back to the Ark for some R&R.

It did drizzle on the way to the Ark in the morning but somewhat nicely, it stopped for the most part when we got t the Loj and when we hit the trail. In fact, it really wasn't too bad, the trees were wet but the herdpath for S&N are very good now so it's not really an issue.

We also knew that "Lost Pond" mtn (Not officially named but seems like the general convention in the ADK100 as well as the CAT100) was in the general vincinity however, none of us freaks did any beta on this as S&N was a very very last minute trailhead decision. But ferrisjrf has it marked on the map so we didn't need 5 hours to locate it. :D

Anyway, when we were on the viewpoint on Street, we could cleary see how awesome it was to do a bushwack to some silly peak, in competely overcast cloudy skies, wet trees, short pants, no beta on the route. Great. Let's roll. Well, it hasn't started to rain yet... It was like abou 12:30 when we got to street after a leisurely 9ish start...

Of course, all the normal people in our group did not go down to Lost Pond so the rest of us freaks, namely ferrisjrf, Dunbar, and myself left to plow through spruce. So we all sort of took bearings to the col while Ferrisjrf and Dunbar had GPSs to do the minor corrections and we headed off the viewpoint on street. Top of S is pretty thick and we would find a broken tripod leg which Ferrisjrf stuffed in his sack. We headed sort of flat for a bit before dropping off the east side for a short bit when it got thick. Hit the Col pretty nicely, it did open up after we dropped some elevation off Street and we took another bearing from the col (roughly 3400') to the little 3900 bump that is shown on the ADK's ADK map which I had in my ziplock bag. The col between Street and Lost Pond Mtn is a pretty cool area and we would be in awe at how cool a place the ADKs are off-trail, between the 3 foot deep moss in some places to the piles of blowdown that would just appear and then go away in sections. (microbursts?). As we got closer to Lost Pond, it got wetter as the rain picked up... Timing has it that it would start to pour heavily when we got to the really thick boulder that is the summit of LP. A really small boulder problem that I went around and went up the east side and through a small herdpath til we saw a small clearing (possible view!) and not much of anything else except a desire to get the hell out of dodge due to the downpour. Ferrisjrf got a really cool group shot of us in pine needles galore... wet pine needles is like glue as we all know. (hopefully some pictures will come).

We took a new bearing to get to the Indian Falls trail and we headed off through more thick crap and blowdown, making like .3 mph in some sections progress according to ferrisjrf's gps track which we looked at post-hike. At one point we were up to 1mph, probably where we ran into a drainage that flowed into Indian Pass Brook and we followed this past some pretty falls and hit the brook which was easy to cross. At this point, I ditched those two freaks and made my own bearing while both of those GPS users took some spaghetti route to hit the trail. Hence, I hit the trail some 300ft closer to the LOJ than Dunbar and Ferrisjrf and waited for them to catch up. A run and a skip the 2.5 iles back to the Loj, we made it out around 5:35pm.

Off to stewarts in Lake Placid to get a double scoop Hot Fudge Sundae and fuel for ferrisjrf's car we drive back to the Ark for the festivities....

Pictures are hopefully coming.....

Jay

Jay H said:
Of course, all the normal people in our group did not go down to Lost Pond so the rest of us freaks, namely ferrisjrf, Dunbar, and myself left to plow through spruce.

Glad you freaks bagged Lost Pond! We had a great day - but it wasn't the same without Huiyeng who thankfully is feeling much better now :)

Nice pics Jason!

Jay H said:
In any case, since we were at the Loj, and we had some folks who were not 46rs yet, the group (Gillian, Leaf, ferrisjrf, 7Summits, Dave H + Gillian, Dunbar, and I) decided that we'd hit Street and Nye, except 7Summits had some kind of stomach bug and decided to head back to the Ark for some R&R.
Haha! I'm glad that's how you remember it! Because I remember more like:

leaf: ok, it's raining. trap dike tomorrow. let's do street and nye.

everyone else: --groan--

;)

skimom said:
Nice hike you guys... next time send me a picture with some views... :eek:
Well, since you were hiking with us 'virtually', I had to send it. I was thinking of texting you and then hurling my phone into the pond so you can get a sense of how wet it was with the rain but I thought better of it.

skimom said:
Yah, your pic message really didn't capture the moment very well. Maybe I could give you some pointers on how to convey your message better :eek:
Don't think that's necessary. Your pic message reply was a lifetime lesson. ;)

Thanks guys, a couple runs to the bathroom and some sleeps really help.

leaf said:
everyone else: --groan--

;)
Except me. I was secretly glad that it was raining steadily when we pulled into the Loj (sorry guys :( ). I was determined to (at least try to) climb Trap Dyke with you guys despite being "sick", but knew for sure I wouldn't make it too far. A rest day on Saturday really help rejuvenated and enabled me to join you guys on a fun hike on Colden the next day. The pine needles garnished on the delicous veggie stew added the extra vitamine C I needed to recover.

Great hike on a crappy day guys! Street and Nye are a great rainy day hike. So how was the river crossing? :)

Last edited:
The river crossing was a non-issue since it has been dry in the ADKs for many days before it. In fact, I think Jason got some pictures of the same stream crossing except further SW than the one you use for Street and Nye. He got some pictures of me crossing the (same) stream on our way back from LP mtn.

I think my rain shell is finally dry! Woo Woo!

Jay

ferrisjrf said:
Edit: If Jay and I (and we'll get Steve on eventually) went to the same avatar, this thread would look really weird!...or does it already?

Jason

It might, but it would certainly be very confusing... Should I send it to you or do you want to pick it off here? Hard to make out the pine needles that wound up in the stoup though...

Jay
:p