Subcompact digital camera

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for a subcompact digital camera that has a wide angle lens? What are some good ones, and what ones should be avoided. Many thanks.

I'm a big fan of the SD800 as well. With a 28mm lens and IS (as well as the optical viewfinder) it has all the things I missed on my recently dead SD300 that make it ideal for hiking/backpacking/skiing.

Just bought it! What the heck, if Dave has one, it's got to be good!!

I have the SD300, not the SD800. Mine is 3 year old and the LCD just died yesterday, so I'm in the market for a new one. I've been very happy with the SD-series and of the latest batch the SD800 is certainly the best for hikers due to the wide angle lens and IS.

My next camera will either be the SD800 or the A570, haven't decided yet.

Last edited:
There is a tremendous amount of info on the net on this camera, almost all reviews are really positive. The wide angle aspect makes it perfect for me, it's ideal for mountain scenes. it also has a macro setting for taking pics of register entries!

Stay away from Broadway Photo. I unfortunately placed an order with them seduced by the low price and then did my research on them. Check out their rating on http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo
After I saw the comments about them, I was able to cancel the order. However, I then had a series of small ($20 or so) fraudulent charges show up on my Visa and I had to cancel the card and get a new account number. Coincidence? I then bought the camera from Amazon and got free shipping.

I forgot to mention that when you see a price that low, it's probably "grey market" meaning made for foreign sale. That probably means no US warranty from Canon. The seller gives its own warranty. Good luck on that.

dms said:
There is a tremendous amount of info on the net on this camera, almost all reviews are really positive. The wide angle aspect makes it perfect for me, it's ideal for mountain scenes. it also has a macro setting for taking pics of register entries!
The SD800 looks like a nice camera. My biggest complaint is the Lion battery--I'd rather replacable AAs. Now if Canon would put this lens (28mm effective FL) on one of their A line cameras (all of which are about 35mm effective FL)...

Doug

No ultracompacts have AA batteries, or even AAA which might be useful.

While they Canon hasn't put the 28mm lens on the A-series, you can buy add-on wide angle lenses with the adapter tube.

Panasonic makes several cameras that go to 28mm on the wide end, including the TZ3 ultrazoom (28mm - 280mm) but no optical viewfinder.

David Metsky said:
No ultracompacts have AA batteries, or even AAA which might be useful.
Yes--but I personally am not interested in an ultracompact. IMO, too small to hold well and scarcity of manual controls. I also want an optical viewfinder.

While they Canon hasn't put the 28mm lens on the A-series, you can buy add-on wide angle lenses with the adapter tube.
I am aware of the add-on. Do you have any idea of how good it is?

Doug

RickM said:
Stay away from Broadway Photo. I unfortunately placed an order with them seduced by the low price and then did my research on them. Check out their rating on http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo
After I saw the comments about them, I was able to cancel the order. However, I then had a series of small ($20 or so) fraudulent charges show up on my Visa and I had to cancel the card and get a new account number. Coincidence? I then bought the camera from Amazon and got free shipping.
I removed my thread with the link to Broadway Photo as it does appear they should be avoided. Thanks for the info RickM.

DougPaul said:
I am aware of the add-on. Do you have any idea of how good it is?
Not personally, but people have reported good things about the Canon and Raynox (?) add on lenses. I have the adapter tube for my S3 but right now I only use if for filters.

I wonder

what my trusty "old" camera is going for these days (Lumix Z5) or it's latest incarnation. it was pretty cheap when i bought it a few years ago. it is small-ish, light, has IS - a must - and (drum roll) a big ole honkin 12X zoom that retracts, good battery life too. only thing it lacks is wide angle. but i would rather get the rare wildlife, etc. zoom photo than landscapes. but i realize the average hiker would likely prefer wide angle...

The latest release from Panasonic is the FZ-18 with 18x zoom (28-504mm), bigger LCD, 8 megapixel (vs 5 on the FZ5), better movie mode, much better high ISO performance, face detection, faster operation, and more features. :) It runs around $400 but it's a brand new model, that'll come down eventually.

-dave-

After searching for a compact P&S for Carmel, I bought her the Canon SD800. Great camera and the wide angle lens is the deal maker.

- darren