Substitute for Seam Sealer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogie

Reaction score
I have to seam seal a lot of tents - I mean A LOT. The seam sealers I've used before come in very small containers, a few oz.

What IS seam sealer anyway? Is there a commonly available substitute I can buy in a quart or gallon container? Can I make it myself from common petrochemicals?

Seams like silicone sealer caulking diluted with denatured alcohol might work, but I don't know for sure.

Anybody have any info on this?

I suppose you could start with whatever the contents are on the label and take it from there. Do they list any contents?

Keith

Last edited:
When I got my tarptent, it came with the following instructions for seam sealing: Take some silicone gel and dilute it with mineral spirits -- dilute it enough so you can paint it on the seams with a foam brush, but not so much that it's drippy.

I have used this for seam sealing tents ever since and it works great. :)

- Ivy

poison ivy said:
When I got my tarptent, it came with the following instructions for seam sealing: Take some silicone gel and dilute it with mineral spirits -- dilute it enough so you can paint it on the seams with a foam brush, but not so much that it's drippy.
I have seen formulations like this for use on silnylon, but I have no idea how well it would work on urethane coated nylon (standard waterproof nylon).

The seam sealers for urethane coated nylon frequently contain toluene (not healthy to inhale). Sort of like a flexible plastic aircraft model glue.

I'm sure it is available in bulk. But maybe not to consumers...

You might ask at a place like the REI repair shop. They might know.

Doug

Last edited:
I would stick with Seam Grip. Or if you can still get it from Black Diamond, they used to sell something called SealCoat which was excellent. The virtue of this goop is that it stays incredibly flexible for many, many years. I'm looking at an old Patagonia rain jacket with still functional SealCoat on it. It's 20 years old.

The problem with most seam sealants is that they dry out and crack. I doubt that generic silicone chaulk will apply thin enough.