Sugarloaf (maine) machinery road?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonster

Reaction score
Will be at Sugarloaf this weekend for a family obligation (tough job but somebody has to do it).

Haven't been there in years, but seem to remember an access road to the summit they use for snowcats, etc. that doesn't make for a bad hike/snowshoe.

Anybody care to point me in the right direction--like where it starts at the base?

Thanks
VT

The road starts to the left of the SuperQuad. However, the Bucksaw Chair to the right of the SuperQuad is closed, although the trails near it are open. There's hardly any traffic there when the chair's not open, so you could confidently walk up any of those rightmost trails. They're very laid back about permitting snowshoers. It will be a busy weekend, with ReggaeFest scheduled.

When you descend, check out the Timberline Trail to your far left. It had thin cover when I skied it 2 weeks ago. I'm surprised it's still open. It's a good way down. I believe it approximates the old route of the AT before it was rerouted over the Crockers.

Thanks Audrey.

Guess I can always put on my fake dreads and join the party if the snowshoing stinks.

VT