Suggestions for 2 -3 day winter camping in DAKs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimbHi

Reaction score
Ideally I'd like to hike into a nice spot to put my tent. From there do some hiking and peakbagging for 2 - 3 days. I won't be dragging a sled, but will have crampons, snowshoes and ice ax.
Appreciate any site,trailhead and Mountain suggestions. Maybe even company.
Only trail I've done in the DAKS is the Santas. I'd prefer not to, but there is a lot to do/climb around Times Square. Looking for long weekend in January.

Thanks.....
ClimbHi

Hi ClimbHi,

I posted a similar trip about 2 weeks ago but so far I am going solo. If you are interested in teaming up, here is what I have planned (copied from my post - I still don't know how to copy hyperlinks):

I plan to go into the region via the trailhead at the ADK Loj. As always, the rest of the plan depends on conditions, but I would tentatively hit Wright, Algonquin, Boundary, and Iroquois summits the first day - camp at Lake Colden (or possibly Avalanche Lake). Day 2, head for Marcy and Haystack, possibly Skylight - camp near Little Haystack. Day 3, a comfortable walk out.

Whole trip is planned on snowshoes, but can ski in if anyone is willing.

I will be heading out of NJ/NY on Friday evening, January 13th and be returning some time the following monday. It is MLK holiday so I have monday off from work.

I have one other person who is interested, but often backs out at the last minute. I just pro-dealed a bibler I-tent and am looking forward to testing it if it arrives on time. Anyway, let me know if you are interested in this or any future trips!

Take care,
Sean H

Sean,
Just checked your other posting and seems like you've planned a good trip!
I'll check out the trip on the maps.

By any chance do you have a Bear Vault for food storage? They're required on the DAKS.

Not sure what your pace is, mine is slow and steady, especially in winter.

Bruce

ClimbHi said:
By any chance do you have a Bear Vault for food storage? They're required on the DAKS.

They are required only from April 1 to November 30, though I'm sure they're encouraged at other times (I almost lost some food to a pine marten in the winter). As of now, the requirement is for the eastern high peaks only, though that could change.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/press/pressrel/2005/200554.html

Hi ClimbHi,

Yep, as Rhihn said, the bears should all be asleep right now, which is good because I have not yet invested in a bear canister.

My pace is slow and steady as well. I usually only stop to delaminate and drink/eat.

Sean

Sean,
Been laid up with a bad cold the last few days, haven't felt like doing any emails.

It will take me about 7 hours to get to the ADK Loj.. I was planning on leaving some time on Friday. If you're leaving late in the day what time would you be getting there?

Guess your planning on spending Fri. night at the Loj..head out early Sat. morning.

Hi ClimbHi,

I will be leaving after work on Friday - the trip will take about 5 hours. I plan on arriving at the Loj between 11pm and 12am - earlier if possible. Where will you be driving from? I will be leaving from Edgewater NJ.

We can bring this off the forum if you want to email me @ [email protected].

Sean