Suggestions for great views, little effort- a Mt. Avalon-ish or Mt. Cascade hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Cascade works for you then maybe Big Slide from JBL is a fantastic view of the great range. Three easy/moderate/enjoyable hike in to the base or go over the brothers. If you want easier do the hike in.

If Cascade is too much try Mt Joe at the ADK Loj. Very easy and fun. Pay parking with the High Peaks Center near for snacks. If you camp a night there you don't pay for the parking.

If you got time go to the Wild Center in Tupper. The ADK Museum may still be open at Blue Mt Lake, both area bit of a drive from the Loj.

I like Black (Benton, I believe...west of Moosilauke). Be warned that a lot of the "high reward low effort" mountains, including Black, bring that effort in stiff but short (for us) climbs. Very discouraging for those who aren't used to settling in and slowly grinding out the elevation.

Big Slide, Mount Jo, and Tupper Lake are a little far from the White Mountains, I fear.

How about Zeacliff, which you may remember from along the way to Zealand. A fairly flat beginning to get you warmed up, then some stiff climbing to the viewpoint; about four miles each way, but only about 1½ miles of climbing. The light is better in the afternoon.

Maybe drive around and look for good foliage first, then figure out how to get good shots of it, rather than selecting a hike and hoping for the best regarding the color.

Frankenstein Cliff and Arethusa Falls might be good, too, although you wouldn’t get sweeping panoramas there.

If you get too high, the color is too far away anyway.

Heck, I remember some spectacular trees right at the Discovery Trail parking lot on the Kancamagus, not far from Big Rock Campground. When I pulled in a couple of years ago, at least one photographer had his tripod set up.

Last edited:
Keep in mind too that trees are past peak above sayyy, 2300 feet? At least, that was my experience on the Western Kanc.

Has anyone mentioned Mt. Jackson yet? Very comparable with Cascade -- a 4,000 footer with a killer open summit, 2.5 miles x ~2,000' climb and a little bit of sporty scrambling at the top. If your newbie is feeling spunky you can extend the trip to make a loop over to Mt. Webster and down that way. The Webster summit is an airy perch; can eat lunch right at the top of a 2,000' gully that falls straight down the cliffs to the notch.

great suggestions

potash & hedgehog great little hikes on the kanc. also agree with welch&dickey, black cap & zeacliff.. also super easy & prolly crowded mt.pemi. Carribou would be a more secluded (longer than the others mentioned but pretty easy hike).. blueberry just south of carribou is a great little one too.. enjoy!

Potash a few winters back was absolutely amazing views for the effort. Zeacliff is a little bit on the longer side but wicked nice and not by any means a big trip.