Summer Solstice Great Range Traverse – no strings attached!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsmores

Reaction score
I’m planning to do a Great Range traverse on June 23. My original plan was to hike with my son, but he bailed on me (some weak excuse, a friend’s wedding or some such). I’m still planning on going, and doing it solo if that’s what it comes to.
My nominal plan is to leave early in the a.m. from either the Loj or South Meadows. I will head for Marcy, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong, UWJ, LWJ, Rooster Comb, and out to Keene Valley.
Here’s where the “no strings attached” part comes in. OK, some may say I have trouble with commitment, but… This is a major hike and I am intent on staying very flexible. If the weather forecast is lousy I may call it off altogether, or possibly do the hike on the 24th instead. I am 53 and in pretty good shape, so I hope to maintain a reasonably good pace, but I’m not a speed hiker. I will vary my pace to a reasonable extent, but won’t kill myself to keep up or expect a much faster hiking partner to be held back (as I said, I’m quite prepared to do the whole hike solo). Conversely, I don’t want to be held back if I don’t think we’re going to make it out by nightfall (which is not to say I’ll abandon a hiking partner in distress, just part ways amicably if we’re way out of synch). If the weather deteriorates I will bail out if need be, either down via Slant Rock or Orebed Brook. If it turns out that I’m not in as good a shape as I think I am I will bail out rather than kill myself trying to complete the hike.
Sooo, if anyone wants to join me for all or part of it, that would be great. Or, if anyone has an existing group planning on a similar hike that I could tag along with for all or part of it, that would be great also. PM me if you’re interested.