summit forecasts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonycc

Reaction score
The summit or bust thread raised this question. While I have turned around, it would be a lot easier if I could plan an alternate destination based on a forecast, versus looking at the sky from the parking lot. Sometimes, even if you decide to turn around it may be too late, better not to get into that position in the first place.

What sources of information are out there for forecasting weather conditions (temps, wind speeds, direction, etc.) on the summits of a planned peak? I've seen the Loj board giving summit forecasts, where do they get that info? How about for other mountain ranges?

Tony

The NWS page on Public Information has a daily "HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND WESTERN MAINE". It is posted one day at a time, around 3 AM. It seems to apply to the major above treeline summits.

I do not believe that there is a summit by summit forecast available anywhere.

NOAA radio

Does NOAA ever broadcast summit forecasts via the weatherband? I've never heard of it, most of the weatherband data I get from my little radio is just general area weather, if I can get reception at all...

Jay

I just watch the NWS forecasts and satellite maps for the areas on plan on visiting.
Used to be that you could call the ASCR (Atmospheric Sciences Research Center) up on Whiteface Mtn. One of the meteorology grad students would answer. Those guys were great. They were sitting at 2,000' and would not only have the data outside, but right on Whiteface's summit itself. They'd take a look at all the weather data there and available from their other sources and give you a "personal" weather forecast for the peaks. They would be able to guess cloud levels, when and if it would clear, and temps at various elevations during the day.
;)

Jay H said:
Does NOAA ever broadcast summit forecasts via the weatherband? I've never heard of it, most of the weatherband data I get from my little radio is just general area weather, if I can get reception at all...

Jay

NOAA does produce daily a regular "Higher Summits" forecast for NH and the mountains of Western Maine. It runs every 15 minutes or so on NOAA stations serving NH.

In S NH I hear it on WX channels 5 and 6.

It provides wind speed, visibility, ground condx, temps and wind chills.

cb

Thanks ChrisB, the reason I don't get it is probably because I don't have a full fledged NOAA weather radio. I have a cheap $15 Grundig thing that has AM/FM band but also has 3 weatherbands in the 163.XX MHZ range or whatever freq. the common ones are on. But I also really only use that for bike touring also. (and it's nice to have some music while setting up camp or taking shelter from the rain).

In the NY area, I've only heard land and marine forecasts. It sounds like it is also dependent on the geography too, have to bring it to the mountains and see.

Jay

Jay,

You can get a nine-channel WX radio from Radio Shack for about $20. It's the size of a pack of cigarettes, runs on a 9-V batt and weighs about 6 oz.

Handy to have around in the winter.

My Subaru Outback has a WX radio build into the AM/FM unit which is also handy.

Neat thing about NOAA broadcasts is that they give current condx around New England, so you can hear what is west of you WRT temps and precip.

cb