Sundog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Photo.I caught one of these on top of Mt. Adams about fifteen years ago.....it was a Religous experience!

JohnL said:
I caught this sundog at work yesterday afternoon.

Here is an explanation for those who are unfamiliar with the phenomenon.

JohnL
One has to be lucky to catch a sundog with a camera. That's a great explanation page I had not seen before, thanks for linking it. Usually the best sundogs and arcs are seen on the most frigid of winter days and the time of most intense best viewing may be fleeting. Having a working camera ready in those temps can be a challenge. Here's a lucky shot I made from a couple of years ago, when the outside temperature was -33F.

I saw one yesterday too!

Around 3:30 pm I saw one. I tried to capture it on camera, but it came in like garbage. I dont know how to photograph those things. But it looked brilliant in the sky.

grouseking

sun pillar

Must be good weather for sun phenoms. See news item in right column of http://www.northcountrytrail.org/, December 12. The picture in the article is mine.

Hey Tom- I grew up with Rankins. Do you have any relatives in the 50's named Pat, Joan, Linda or Kevin?

Nice. I love stuff like this. Caught one decades ago in upstate NY. Didn't know what it was at the time.

Me, too!

I saw a sun dog yesterday, too. It was visible through the clouds that were approaching from the west--the clouds that brought all that rain to Mass. today. It was really, really pretty. And then, an hour and a half later, we watched the moon rise--also very beautiful. I always make it a point to look around and up at the sky when I am walking to or from my car each day. Thursday morning's sunrise was pretty cool, too.

Pat T

I always see stuff like this and really enjoy it. Just tonight I saw a neat cloud/moon event that was awe inspiring. It pays to always look up and check out the sky. There is so many beautiful things going on up there that most people are too preoccupied to catch. Thanks for the link.

grouseking said:
I tried to capture it on camera, but it came in like garbage. I dont know how to photograph those things. But it looked brilliant in the sky.

grouseking

There are two keys to photographing optics in the sky...

1) Under expose the shot!
Optical features can be 25% to 75% dimmer than the sun itself, and most features are no more than 22 degrees from the sun. Therefore, if you expose the shot for the sun, the optics will be washed or overpowered. It even helps to block the sun from the image like the one on Mt. Washington.

2) Use a polarizer!
This will maximize the contrast between the sky and the colorful feature that you are trying to capture. Even if you cannot fix a filter onto your camera, get a filter and hold it in front. Be careful with rainbows and polarizers though, you can make them completely disappear. Kinda fun to see, but not effective!

Hope that helps. Optics are much more common than people think, plenty of chance to practice if your looking!

~w7x