Synthetic insulated jacket.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I've been e-browsing for a synthetic, insulated, hooded winter jacket and have come up with a few interesting products in the 11/2 to 2 pound range. I'd be interested in any comments/observations anyone would care to throw my way.

Dolomitti Jacket

Patagonia Micro Puff

Magma Jacket

Last edited:
Neil - I'm not familiar with the jackets you mentioned but last year I bought a Go-Lite Coal synthetic fill hooded jacket... I LOVE it. I've only used it during winter hikes. It has replaced my 200 weight hooded fleece jacket.
It much warmer than the fleece, weights less, packs down much smaller, and it blocks the wind!
I ended up taking the removable hood off, it just got in the way too often when layering. I do bring it with me though for use as a really warm hat.

Onestep

Neil - I picked up and EMS Belay Parka Last year (Polarguard Delta I think) for about $40 and I really like it for winter camping. It is great to have at the end of the day to throw over everything else. It is heavy, though - I think it weighs about 2 lbs.

Neil,

I was going to buy the Gucci Puffball a couple years ago and found the MEC replica to be made just as well, and loads cheaper. IIRC the polarguard insulation was about equal, and the weight about the same. The MEC version used to be about 100 cdn. I wear this frequently on really cold ski days, usually under my gore-tex layer. Keeps me toasty warm, even when damp.

One other option to add to your list is the Wild Things "hooded sweater". It's primaloft, hooded and looks similar to Micro Puff you have listed. Very warm and light. I carried it for the first 2 months of the AT this year and even wore it yesterday just sitting above treeline. Keeps me toasty!

wild things

I just checked their site and they do not have it online, it has been around for quite some time, so maybe they are phasing it out........and with the sale they have going on right now, it might be worth it just to call and check it out. I was in the actual store last month and saw them there, so they are not sold out of them yet. You might be able to score a huge deal!

Good luck :)

Mammut Stratus

Mammut makes a great lightweight synthetic jacket in this weight range.
Lots of pockets, self-stowing, and with a fantastic hood. I think I paid about $100 at Climb High in Burlington.

Mammut Stratus

Does anybody know the difference between Primaloft One and Polarguard Delta.
One jacket, the Golite Buzz has 1.8 oz of PL and another, the Dolimitti has 5 oz of PL and claims 1 inch of loft. Big difference. The Micro Puff has 2.7 oz of PG Delta. It's all Greek to me.

Neil said:
One jacket, the Golite Buzz has 1.8 oz of PL and another, the Dolimitti has 5 oz of PL and claims 1 inch of loft. Big difference. The Micro Puff has 2.7 oz of PG Delta. It's all Greek to me.

I think the listed weights represent weight of fill per square yard (or square meters). I have some ID Denali pants that use 4 oz. Primaloft and Pertex fabric and that seems to be a good weight. I also have MEC Northern Lite jacket with 1.8 oz. fill, which works well for layering but not thick enough for an outer insulating jacket.

If I recall correctly delta compresses to a greater degree than older Polarguards and has a better insulation to weight ratio. The real question is does Delta last as long and handle repeated compressions as well as the older Polarguards.....

Checking reviews of TNF sleeping bags might answer the question, Delta was exclusive to TNF for a few years and used extensively in their sleeping bags.