Table Rock - OMG!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
SUNDAY JUNE 24, 2012 TABLE ROCK - 0.6 miles, 600'

DSCN3000.JPG

Up early in Gorham and on the road about 6AM, heading north for a scenic, 70 minute drive up 16 and 26 to Dixville Notch. Early fog was still burning off as I followed the Androscoggin north.

Table Rock is on TrishandAlex's Terrifying 25 list. As you approach the height of land in the Notch there is a sign warning of a Bump. Not like a speed bump; more like cresting the top of a roller coaster (whee!). The (unsigned) parking area is just on the left after this bump. The trail sign for the Table Rock Hiking Trail is a little further down. From the lot you look up and see what looks like an incredibly pointed peak, and you think, oh that can't be where I'm going. But it is.

The 0.3 mile trail is unremittingly steep from the get-go to the top. And it's all in the woods till you reach Table Rock itself. The rock's on the trail have a much smoother texture than those in the Presies. Moisture from the previous evening's rain added to the degree of difficulty. I carefully made my way up, stopping frequently to catch my breath, feel my heart pound and admire the greenery, You reach the ridge, do a short scramble and there you are, looking out on the rock which projects like a pier out into space. Although it is essentially flat and level, there are small gaps, and I found myself edging out the 40 or 50 feet to the end of the pier taking little baby steps. It narrows down to about 6 feet wide and the dropoffs are basically straight down. Down to the left is the Balsams resort, very swank. To the right a foggy view of the eastern end of the notch I had just driven up. The setting is spectacular!

The descent went fairly well except for one major slip. Fortunately, my firm grasp on a sturdy birch tree spared someone the necessity of making a sad phone call to the Widow Kittredge.

Trish, thank you so much for putting this on your list. It was well worth the drive.

By the way, I wondered about cell phone service this far north, and it occurred to me that if any place would have it, it would be the Balsams. Yep, four bars.

Click for pics.

Last edited:
Nice pictures! I was there last week, but I approached from the west trailhead...I think it's a bit easier from that side, but still mighty steep.

I got better cell service from Table Rock than I do at home!

Bob,

Thanks for posting this trip report and for including all those pictures! The girls and I will probably do this one before the summer is out; I appreciate knowing what to expect. I will make sure they stay far away from the edges! :eek:

It's funny, we won't be able to give ourselves patches for our own list for another year or two (or three), since I want the girls to grow taller before trying the likes of Huntington's Ravine (height helps when it comes to reaching for handholds). In the meantime, we are looking at everyone else's trip reports of the trails that are on our T25 list. These are the first detailed pictures we've seen of Table Rock. Thanks again for posting them!

Trish

This looks awesome! Thanks for the TR and pictures. I don't recall ever seeing a report from Table Rock either.

That just doesn't look like New England. It's now on my list! Thanks for posting.

I love Table Rock, as well as the surrounding ridges of vertical rock strata. There's a great loop hike that I try to do every year up there that encompasses Table Rock, the Three Brothers Trail, Huntingdon Falls, Dixville Flume, Sanguinary Ridge & Index Rock, then back down to The Balsams and a quick walk to the car. Can't be beat in the autumn!

Did this one winter as a guided hike from The Balsams. We must've taken a less exposed route. I remember weak knees when putting my snowshoes on to the rock and barely a skooch toward the edge to have my picture taken.

Yikes! Definitely belongs on the Terrifying 25 in my book! Those are the kinds of spots that get my acrophobia to kick in full force. My stomach was doing flips as I advanced through the last couple of pics out to the end of the point. It's possible that I could get myself out there - but it would be the same way I did on Bondcliff - sliding on my butt! Nice report and "terrifying pics"!

If you do go, make sure you drive west from Errol (via Rt 16) on Rt 26 to get there. There is a certain spot in the road just as you leave the notch that will give you a thrill. Even though folks know its coming, it still gets the heart racing. The effect is better if you do not know what is on the other side of the notch (if you drove in from Colebrook) but if that is your only choice head through the notch, turn around and drive back.

Some folks say they should charge admission, of course if you dont like roller coasters you may not like this spot.

Last edited:
If you do go, make sure you drive west from Errol (via Rt 16) on Rt 26 to get there. There is a certain spot in the road just as you leave the notch that will give you a thrill. Even though folks know its coming, it still gets the heart racing. The effect is better if you do not know what is on the other side of the notch (if you you drove in from Colebrook) but if that is your only choice head through the notch, turn around and drive back.

Some folks say they should charge admission, of course if you dont like roller coasters you may not like this spot.

Thank you so much for this advice! I HATE auto roads that have steep drop-offs -- they scare the crap out of me. The warning is much appreciated.

Dont stress Trish, Its not a steep drop off, its more of a psychological drop off, it is a major state highway after all. Most kids that ask their parents to turn around and do it again.