Tails on MSR snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couchybar

Reaction score
I weigh about 230 lbs with my winter day pack, clothes and gear. I wear my MSRs'
without the tails. Fine on the flats but turn the tips upwards and step off the trail
there are many spruce traps. Does
anyone have an opinion on the tails, especially their effect on balance and handling.
Also do they complicate self extrication from the inevitable spruce trap?.

Thanks

I put the tails on my MSRs when I got them, and have never taken them off. I doubt I ever will. Absolutely no problem with handling in all kinds of conditions.

Steve

I use both the 4 and 8 inch tails and found them to be great. When The trails are packed down I will just use the shoes without the tail. If I start sinking into the snow or there is fresh snow then I throw on the 4 inch tails. I use the 8 inch but not too often only because I then use my wooden shoes if conditions call for longer shoes.
For the weight you mentioned I would go with the 4 inch tail. Even if on packed trails. With that weight you can stll sink some on packed trail plus it alowes you to step off trail more. What makes the tails nice is they can easily be hung on the outside of the pack or stuffed inside.

Couchybar said:
Does anyone have an opinion on the tails, especially their effect on balance and handling.

I find that the shoes track better with the 8" tails on; I leave them on all the time except to store them. FYI -- use the headlamp if attaching the tails at night. Otherwise it's about a thirty minute backtrack to find the one that came off. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your responses. I sank so much off trail and got so used to it that I
began to doubt that with my very heavy day pack the tails would make much
difference. I also thought that the tails would severely change the balance of the
shoes and as an often solo hiker I need to get out of spruce traps with a minimum of
effort. I will try them out.

Lost tails

I use the 8 ones as well - and to solve the "lost tails" problem, which I experienced first hand (yes it is approximately a 30 minute back-track) I did the following:

1. Drill 1, 1/4" hole in the middle of the flat span between the side rib and attachment bolt (on the tail piece).

2. Fish through a 15"-18" long, 1/4" black shock-cord (get at your local gear shop).

3. Tie off a good knot on the underside, leaving 1" tail - stretch & pull tight to make sure it doesn't get undone

4. Attach a plastic snap-hook (sized for 1/4 shock cord) on the other end, and clip onto the heel strap of the shoe.

note: the length of the cord controls how low the shoe will pivot when you lift your foot. Short cord = little pivot. Long cord = full pivot......... however: long cord = snags on twigs and branches when bushwhacking.

the wall.........