The Ammonoosuc Ravine trail is closed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
For the AMC to close a direct route to one of their huts, must mean some dangerous conditions. They plan to reevaluate conditions in the morning to consider re-opening the trail.

I didn't realize that the AMC could close a trail. I thought that only the Forest Service had the authority to do that.

I heard about it in the 4k group and called the Pinkham Notch trails desk to confirm. I've used that number for 30 years for up-to-date info. 1-603-466-2721.
Thanks. I looked in the 4K groups and found this post:

which in turn references this post:

Curious if it's still closed. I don't see any mention of it on the Forest Service webpage. I live out of the area now and took family for a week in the Whites last week. Feeling VERY lucky we enjoyed great weather!

Last edited:
I'd imagine some of the crossings on that trail would be really dangerous after the recent rains, especially the crossing in the photo that crosses the ledge at the top of the waterfall. I think they'd be fishing a lot of dead people out of the pools below if they didn't do something.

I'm sure it will be short lived though considering how fast rivers rise and fall at this time of year. Hopefully there isn't any erosion damage to deal with or repair. That trail is already pretty rough as it is.

Curious if it's still closed. I don't see any mention of it on the Forest Service webpage. I live out of the area now and took family for a week in the Whites last week. Feeling VERY lucky we enjoyed great weather!

I have no idea if there's been an official closure let alone who would make that call. I do know that one of the groups participating in a fundraising hike I'm involved with started down Ammo from Lakes at the suggestion of the Hut crew and had to turn around at the water crossing about .5 from the Hut. Utterly impassable.

Water levels are probably dropping now that the sun's out, but everything's so saturated it's not going to take much precipitation to get it blasting again.