The incredible town of Newcomb NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
I just want to give a heart felt thank you to all the employees of the town of Newcomb highway department. Not only are these guys responsible for keeping the road to upper works open for those of us that partake in the use of that trailhead, they are just all around great guys. My alternator belt broke this weekend, and I was forced to abandon my car at the scenic overlook in thier community. My community would have had my car towed for overnight parking ban money, no such evil treatment in the town of Newcomb. They told me my car would be safe for however long it needed to stay there. Well, I got back the next morning with a new belt, and couldn't fix it. They had me in a heated garage, and fixed it better than it's ever been. Not only did they fix my car, they allowed me to use the phone, and when it was all over, they EVEN WASHED MY CAR!!!!I cannot say enough about how well I was treated in this community nestled in the shadow of the high peaks. I only know about Aunt Pollys bed and breakfast that allows dirty hikes full access that is a great business to frequent, but I will support any business that helps support these great folks. Three thumbs up. Next time through there will be cases of brew at the towns door for the workers.

i've heard many stories of the plow guys willing to haul someone out of a bank or even plow them to the northway to get home...

these guys do rock!!!

Hillman - Glad you had a great experience - I have always liked the town of Newcomb and that park with the bathrooms has always made a perfect lunch and changing area on the way into Upper Works.

I recall back in the early-mid 90's there was a big pothole maybe - 2' across and 18 inches deep just a few miles S of Tahawus, near the middle of the road. For what seemed like an entire season there was a big stick about 4 feet high stuck in it so cars wouldn't hit it.
I remember thinking every time IOpassed it, I don't know what's worse - Hitting the pothole or hitting the stick. :)

Doug, at least your car had a good view :D . Does anyone remember the old billboard that used to be there?

And one of the coolest things about Newcomb is they have their own little ski hill (pretty much a bunny slope) with a rope tow that they run for the residents... for free! They also have that great engraved glass silhouttes of all the high peaks that you can see from the town square. Nice story, glad you got your wheels back. I have my own UW road breakdown story...

hillman1 said:
They were. The fire suits were hung in the garage. Thats a good idea.

If you send in a donation stick an extra $10 in it from me, I'll get it to you next time we hike together.

Sounds like Newcomb is a pretty tight knit community, and those are harder and harder to come across in this day and age.

Good on 'em.

-Shayne

Hmmmm, let's see... dead battery, broken belt... maybe next time out I'LL DRIVE! Glad to hear that you had such a good experience in Newcomb.