The Maine Event, February 15-17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
After completion of the NH Winter 4K list in 2009, started to give some thought to what had to be done to knock of the NE Winter 67. We put together an excellent expedition to Baxter in 2011 (see "After Not Bathing at Baxter" in old trip reports), and had a great time in Percival Baxter's Paradise, but without any summits.:eek: We had been turned back on Hamlin Ridge at about 3400' by high winds, and difficult unconsolidated snow, and had to settle for several fun days at Roaring Brook and Chimney Pond. Perhaps we had bit off more than we could shoe.......er, chew....

The winter of 2011-12 brought us Project Vermont (see more old trip reports), wherein Spaderman and moi (along with many others) had successful summits on a traverse of Abraham and Ellen, and a finishing weekend on Camel's Hump and Mansfield. Two states down, and one to go: the great Pinetree State of Maine.

Decided to put together a crew to go after some lesser, and more accessible, peaks in the Bigelow Range, and wound up with a Gang of Seven for the Summits on Dead President's Weekend: Spaderman; Roy Boy; Mad Dog Mark and son Jeffrey (Eagle Scout with a capital "E"); Kevin from Conklin, NY, the Mighty Quinn, and the undersigned. Jeff's dog Bear (part Lab, part Pit Bull, and the biggest head you've ever seen on a pooch) joined the fray as well. We gathered in Bedford, NH at about 1:30 p.m. and were in Rangeley ME about 4 hours later, over good roads and bad. Checked in at Rangeley Saddleback Inn, and got good chow at the Farmhouse Inn, up the road just a bit - very fine Friday night prime rib, and Black Bear Brewery beer.

Up early on Saturday 2/16, finding a slow but good breakfast at Keeps Corner in beautiful downtown Rangely (at the Irving Station). Then it was off northward to Stratton, ME, and the left turn off Route 16/27 to Stratton Brook Road. Only able to go in a few hundred feet, then parked, and geared up for our assault on Bigelow West Peak and Avery, via SBR, and the Fire Warden's Trail to Bigelow Col. We were hiking by a little after 8 a.m. SBR was well packed out, and is an obvious prime snow mobile route (in Rescue Zone 6, whatever that is). No snow machines on our hoof inward, and no tracks from same after the crossing of Stratton Brook/Pond, about 2 miles in, because of downed tree.

A bit further down the "road" we reached a kiosk, bearing left to head for the actual start of the Firewarden's Trail. We had been able to bare boot to this point, thanks to snowmobile and skier traffic, but we went to snowshoes at this point, and they stayed on for the rest of the day, in the interest of world peace and the Geneva Posthole Convention....At least one snowshoer had preceded us up the Firewarden's Trail, and his/her efforts were much appreciated. The 1.6 miles between start of FWT and intersection of Horns Pond Trail passed quickly, even with an initial steepish climb to a "shelf". In the area of the HPT intersection, a father/daughter duo caught and passed us briefly, then we leapfrogged them, heading up to the steepest segment of the FWT, the part that rises 1700' in 1.5 miles. Coffee break was definitely over - for those familiar with NH steeps, think North Hancock or South Twin on steroids. Unrelenting, difficult steep terrain.

The grade finally eased off as we hit the Bigelow col just before 1 p.m., and glad to do so. Ate some quick lunch, and decided to hit Bigelow West Peak first, a mere .3 miles to the north. Pretty well consolidated and obvious trail through here, busting out to fabulous views of Sugarloaf ski area to the west, and Flagstaff Lake to the east. Father/daughter (sorry, never got names) were kind enough to take pictures with everyone's cameras, and we lingered a few minutes before returning to the col, seeing the hump of Avery looming to the south.

Once back at the col, decided to drop our packs, and hoof it over and back the .4 mile to Avery. I had some difficulty in this section, with a charley horse on my left quad, but thankfully it passed, and I pressed on, as Steve and Mark were kind enough to wait for me. Made the last few hundred yards to the Avery summit, with more fabuous views in all directions.

Departed Bigelow col at just about 3 p.m. for the long walk out. A good portion of that walk morphed into a slide, as the steepest segment of FWT was travelled much more quickly in the opposite direction.....Yee Hah!! Put on headlamps in the gathering darkness when we got closer to SBR so that any oncoming snowmobilers could see us more readily; the half moon actually gave enough light to see pretty well, but safety first. Met just one big group of snowmobiles, and they were very courteous, slowing down while passing us. Reached our cars by about 6:15 p.m., so about 10 hours to cover 13 lucky miles, with NE Winter 4Ks Nos. 54 and 55 for Steve and me; first Winter 4Ks in ME for anybody in our group. Even the energetic Mr. Bear was worn out!!

Cleaned up back at the Inn, and enjoyed good grub at Pickford Pub, part of the Loon Lodge on Rangeley Lake. Forecast was for colder temps and higher winds tomorrow, so we would have to play it by ear in terms of our plan to nail both Saddleback and the Horn.

On Sunday, we got a somewhat later start, but faster service and great breakfast at BMC Diner in beautiful downtown Rangeley.
Headed up to Saddleback Ski Area via Dallas Hill Rd., and checked in at the Main Lodge for uphill access passes, easily obtainable for free, after signing waiver. Very nice folks at the desk. Only problem was that dogs are not permitted on the slopes, even on a leash, so Mr. Bear would not be hiking today. Kevin graciously decided to forego hiking today, and would return with Bear to NH, before heading home to NY. Long, long drive for him. Mark and Jeff would join us enroute Steve, Mike, Roy and moi geared up, and began the ascent up Grey Ghost, one of the trails you are permitted to use. Like most blue/intermediate ski trails, it had a good, steady, but not insanely steep grade to it, with a few respites along the way - a different sort of rhythm than hiking on a regular mountain trail. We reached the warming hut at the top of the double chair a little after 10 a.m.; about an hour to climb roughly 1100'. Stopped in briefly, and exchanged greetings with skiers and boarders, and also confirmed with a ski patroller that our intention was to nail only Saddleback, and not to cross the ridge.

The wind was already pretty strong in this area, and it got stronger once we headed out to climb Tricolor up to the top of the quad chair, and head for the summit. We were fully covered up at this point, goggles, face protection, etc. Scrambled up some rock face between the ski patrol hut and a weather/equipment building(?) and made our way upward through a sort of chute, and a barely discernible rock wall path a la Franconia Ridge, in a fierce, unrelenting wind out of the N/NW. There were no views to be had today, as it was difficult enough to see much of anything with goggles/glasses fogging over. Fortunately, it was not a "whiteout", as we could keep track of each other, but we were all greatly relieved to see the summit sign, and then beat a hasty retreat back to the relative calm of the ski trails. Whew! Strongest winds I can recall since our NH Winter 4k finish on Bondcliff 3 years ago.

Regrouped on the descent of Tricolor, and met up with Mark and Jeff, who had ascended via Green Weaver in rapid fashion. Agreed that we would all meet at the base, and continued our descent via GW. Many friendly waves and whoops from passing skiers, and no problems whatsoever in terms of being seen, as we stayed to the far right of the slopes, and did not spread out across the trail. Stopped a couple of times to talk with skiers who were interested in our quest, and heard the usual jokes about being too cheap to buy a lift ticket, etc. All in good fun.:)

Completed our hike at the base lodge at just about noon time; appx. 3 hours for the RT, and happy to have had a much shorter day than yesterday. Mark and Jeff were in right behind us (very strong, those lads), and since the ski pub was jammed with people, we opted to depart and returned to the much quieter Pickfords for some bloody marys and lunch. Goodbyes to Steve, Mike and Roy, who had to get back on Sunday night. Mark, Jeff and I had a pleasant afternoon at the indoor pool and hot tub at Rangeley Saddleback Inn, telling tales of lusty adventure and swigging some celebratory beers. Had burgers at Sarge's Sports Bar on Main Street for dinner. Our plan to ski on Monday was kiboshed by winds that were even stronger than yesterday's, so we were on the way back to NH by 8 a.m., and home by noon.

It was great to finally get some summits in ME, winter or otherwise, and we look forward to returning to chase after the Crockers, Reddington, Sugarloaf, Spaulding, etc. I am hopeful that my more technologically competent bretheren can get their pictures posted to this site, or that they will send me a link to same, so that we can share same with the VFTT community. Happy Trails to all!!

Thanks for the update!

If you want beta on Reddington, I wrote a TR a few months ago outlining the maze of logging/snowmobile roads that you can take to get to the summit.

Hi Tom:

Appreciate your info. re. Reddington, and have copied same to my "Maine file" for future reference!! We obviously still have a lot of work to do in Maine......might start chasing that Views and Brews patch, too!!

Regards, Rick

Hi Tom:

Appreciate your info. re. Reddington, and have copied same to my "Maine file" for future reference!! We obviously still have a lot of work to do in Maine......might start chasing that Views and Brews patch, too!!

Regards, Rick
No problem.

Send me a PM if you are interested in Views and Brews, I will create a username for you if you want to use our board. I get spammed to death if I allow open enrollment.