The Precipice and Beehive trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
My husband and I are planning a trip to Acadia National Park. We definetly want to hit these two trails. I know that The Precipice trail is often closed from spring to mid august, due to the nesting Peregrine Falcons. Does the Beehive trail also get closed too? We were thinking that if we went after Labor day, that we would be safe in being able to do both. We were thinking that Blackwoods campground is where we'll stay. We usually spend vacation in Adirondacks, and are looking for a new adventure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: Is the Precipice Trail as nerve rattling as some say? Most definetly going to do the Beehive first, to get our feet wet.

Becca

Just do the Beehive first and if you're fine then do the Precipice. My first time up my thought was, what crazy maniac made a trail there, but the second time was, where are the places that made me think I was crazy?!
One caveat for thePrecipice: well two, ...try to go with the sun off the cliff jsut because it can get so darn hot and two, I would wait until it dried off after a rain

We got o acadia in Maine. It's been closed the first week in August but is generally open the second week and from then on it's always been open.

Beehive always open

We prefer Seawall campground (walk in sites) for the quieter side of the island but Blackwoods will put you closer to most of the trails. Don't forget to do the walks on the quiet side. go out Ship's Harbor and walk the coast aorund the cove returnign by way of the Wonderland Trail and then walk the short road walk back to your car. Or take the Island Explorer form Seawall down to Ship's Harbor out and then walk the coast line back two coves to the Seawall picnic grounds to your car.

Try to see the Azalea gardens-doesn't matter that they're not in bloom- amazing anyway.

Try to get to the site of where George Dorr's house stood and find his steps in the woods and go down to his little beach.

Hunter's beach- you can be there by yourself most times- a very different treat.

Great head -a wonderful hike

How many weeks did you say you had?? :D

Becca said:
My husband and I are planning a trip to Acadia National Park. We definetly want to hit these two trails. I know that The Precipice trail is often closed from spring to mid august, due to the nesting Peregrine Falcons. Does the Beehive trail also get closed too? We were thinking that if we went after Labor day, that we would be safe in being able to do both. We were thinking that Blackwoods campground is where we'll stay. We usually spend vacation in Adirondacks, and are looking for a new adventure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I am not aware of the Beehive Tr being closed, but check at the visitors center on the way in. After Labor Day should be pretty safe.

Acadia is a real gem--I think that you will like it. Lots of small peaks with nice views--string several together if you want a full day. Some of the peaks on the west side of Sommes Sound are also worthwhile--eg Flying Mountain and the Bubbles (N of the sound).

Side note: Is the Precipice Trail as nerve rattling as some say? Most definetly going to do the Beehive first, to get our feet wet.
Some may find it a bit rattling. But there are iron rungs to help you over the hard spots. It is a bit exposed, so you don't want to fall. Don't do it when it is wet, go up it (not down), bring a bit of mental dicipline, and you will have a great time. Up Precipice and down Behive makes a nice half day loop. Then cross Sand Beach and take a walk on Great Head...

Doug

Last edited:
http://www.nps.gov/acad/info.htm
The Precipice and East Face Trails on Champlain Mountain and the northern portion of the Flying Mountain Trail are closed to protect nesting peregrines. The Beech Cliff area and the cliffs above Valley Cove are closed as well. Trails will remain closed until approximately five weeks after chicks take their first flights, or fledge, from their nests. The opening of these closed areas is expected in late July or early August.

My wife called the park office earlier this year, I thought she said the Beehive was also closed (it's also on my list). You can call the park office and ask: (207) 288-3338

^MtnMike^

Last edited:
We were in Arcadia for 12 days leading up to July4th. Stayed at Bass Harbor campground which was very nice. While there we did some great cycling, kayaking, and of course hiking - lengthly trip report and photos will be up in a couple of weeks.

The Precipice is closed until @ mid -August. If you go by the trailhead you will most likely see a Ranger their with some scops for spotting/watching the birds.

We climbed the Beehive in a on and off light rain and were fine. Then headed over to The Bowl and Gorham mountain. Great views!

FYI - there is a really good italian resturant in Manset Harbor (outer part of Southwest Harbor) across the street from the boat ramp that has very good italian seafood dishes. Get there between 5 and 6 and you get 2 meals for $20.

Feel free to email or PM us with any specific questions while the memories are fresh in our minds.

thanks for all the replies

I'm marking all the places on my trip planner. Really looking forward to seeing your photos, (Bob & Geri). So, how early in the season does the Precipice trail close? If it closes in the spring, and doesn't open again till mid-august, that really puts a damper on alot of peoples plans there. Most people travel in the summer. I'm more interested in the later part of the season, with the hope to miss some of the crowds. But after checking on the whale watching tours, we might have to change things. I want to do the whales and puffins one, with the last date being Sept 3rd. Hmmm.

Becca

The whale watch trips do go out for puffins but be sure to bring some strong binoculars for the puffins. From Bar Harbor they generally go to e Petit Manan Island. Puffins aren't very big birds and they're even smaller bobbing around in the ocean. After returning from a whale watch/puffin boat tour we ran into a gentleman who saw the puffins the ultimate way. It's on my list of things to do in life! Take a boat out to Machias Seal Island and photograph them from the blinds. You must have reservations whaich are handled by two companies, one in Jonesport and one in Cutler. Google puffins and mainebirding.

We did the Beehive with my daughters 11, 9, 4 . The 11 and 9 yr olds thought it was great the 4 yr old and myself with a pack (everyones food and clothes water etc) found it nerve racking but fun. Be sure to go down the backside of it to a really nice pond and you can loop back around the beehive if you don't feel like going back up over it.

BorealChickadee said:
Take a boat out to Machias Seal Island and photograph them from the blinds.

A close second would be to kayak out to Eastern Egg Rock to see them - you cannot land on the island, but they fly right across your bow a few feet above the water. We have some pics from a trip there in Aug 2004 posted on this trip report:

http://rbhayes.net/kayakjuly04.html

We went up the Precipice and down Beehive as a loop, I wouldn't want to do it the other direction. We walked through the tollgate in the reverse direction but the ranger wouldn't pay us. You want dry conditions and people with fear of heights should not go.

great pictures

Looks like you all had a good time. Those ledges really look narrow, don't they? We really got alot more stuff now, that we want to do.(Thanks to seeing all your pics, LOL ) We might hold off the trip till next yr. Does anyone know when the Precipice trial closes for the Falcons, in the Spring?

Eveything in Acadia rocks. You cant' go wrong. Unless, you don't eat at Cafe This Way in Bar Harbor. I also highly recommend the little wine bar in town. (Can't remember the name.)

Oh yeah, hiking & camping...another vote for Seawall. Staying on the quiet side is really nice. A loop over Sargent and Penobscot Mountains is one of the best. Enjoy.

The beehive and precipice rock. I have some precipice and Acadia pics at
http://www.parazz.com/albums/kingtut
Jamie has some good pics on his link too. Don't forget michael j as well.
Those should suffice for a good preview. I looooooove sand beach too. A great loop is to park at sand beach, walk to the precipice and climb that, go down the beehive and then veg at sand beach. Fantastic. If you stay on the western side of the island, there is also a place in sw harbor right next to the Seafood Catch that sells lobsters from just out of the ocean. It is awesome. Nothing better than a boiled lobster at a campsite, yummmmmmmmmm.

I was more nervous on The Beehive than I've been on the Precipice Trail. I don't recall any "protection" on it. We've done the Precipice thrice, but never gone back down the uppermost section. The first two times we followed Bear Brook Trail north then took the East Face Trail back to the Precipice Trail. The third time we went over the top of Champlain and down to Hugenot Head, then followed the Beechcroft Trail down to Route 3 and walked all the way back around on the Loop Road.

The one time we did The Beehive we went down to Gorham Mountain then returned via the Gorham Mountain and Bowl Trails.

I'll second the warning that it can get pretty hot on Champlain in the morning.

Come to think of it, I have some photos, too.

Last edited:
The Precipice Trail definitely has its unnerving moments. There are plenty of iron bars where you can (have) to hold on, ladders, and at least one place where shorter leg lengths mean you need upper body strength to pull yourself up (this is right in the beginning where there's no exposure). It's worth every vertiginous moment, but if you really do have a fear of heights, you might want to skip it. Only go up; do not try to descend.

Here are my pictures and my trip report. The interesting Precipice pictures are here, here, here, here, and here.

I did this hike last Nov, we went up the Beehive and down the Precipice, most say don't go down it but I had no problems , both are awesome trails with the exposed ledges and iron bars, one of the most fun hikes I've been on. I plan to do it again this fall, but I'll try going up the Precipice this time. I have some pics at the link in my sig to.

Last edited: