The right day in the Dix Range-9/18/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamFarmer

Reaction score
It was as good as it gets !
It was chilly in the morning when Little Rickie and I started up the herdpath to Maconb at 4:30.
We got all our water for the day just below the Macomb Slide and reached the summit around 7:30.
We knew it was cold up there, because we pulled on hats, gloves, coats, etc but still couldn't hang too long.
Later a hiker who passed us said it was in the low 30's when he pulled out his thermometer on Macomb.
Wish Kevin was there to confirm.
The sun was out as we headed over the rocks before the summit of Carson. In places out of the wind, it felt great.There was fog in the valleys with the peaks sticking out above.
By the time we got to Grace, it was coolish but the sun was beating down and after lunch it was time for these two old dogs to take a nap.My face burned to where it hurt after a one hour nap.
Then back to Carson. Rickie developed a blister on his hiking toe and was heading down the Lillian Brook herdpath to camp. I was totally revitalized and went for Hough and Dix. I had visited these peaks before but never on a nice day. I also wanted to see if I could identify the path down into the Boquet River valley for when I come back for Hough in the winter.
The views on Dix are second to none and I bundled up and stayed a while . Then it was time to bolt before it became dark.
Climbing the Beckhorn and then descending the marked trail has some dangerous places and I wanted to be done while the light was good. I met a bunch of good people and was even offered a shot of Whiskey on Dix to go with my smoke !
Got back to camp a little after dark and enjoyed changing and heating up some Ramen Noodles. Thanks Rich for the Brandy and the water for drinking and cooking ! Dam nice weekend ! The Buffalo Bills did good too and only got slaughter'd a little.
On a scale of 1 to 10, this day was a Dix.

Last edited:
The last I heard, it wasn't official yet but it was supposed to help if folks started referring to them as such.

Kinda strange but ...whatever !

Thanks Yvon ! I wish I could promise to make the photo's available on line but I never seem to get around to it.
I wish I knew as much as you about that stuff !

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun day and all smart to go over to Dix on a fair view day!! Like the hikers there to offer a nip to mark the day :D You started off on one of my favoite peaks! Nice easy trail on the 'newly' marked herdpath.

One of the standards set by the USGS board on geographic names is currency of use by people as mentioned by DF.
In spite of what Grace and Hudowalski did for the folks of North Hudson over the years, a local politician has raised a red flag and for the USGS, thats a roadblock to a rename. It will happen eventually, but its hit a small bump in the road right now.