the Saco

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
I cannot figure out for the life of me where the public take-in and take-out spots are for the Saco River in the North Conway/Conway area.

I'm looking for the exact location of where I can put in and then ride CLASS I (easy class II also OK I guess) a few miles downstream. I'd like to do this in both kayak and river tubes.

I would do this midweek from time to time (or order to avoid the Saturday/Sunday party boats)

Can I put in @ 1st Bridge in North Conway on River Road (near downtown) and then take out somewhere a few miles downstream before the rapids section (perhaps right before the "big left turn on NH 16 at the lights")?

Last edited:
The public launches for this section are from the field upstream of the bridge on River Road and the normal takeout is just downstream of the 2nd covered bridge on the East Side road. The north Conway water precinct has put up signage in this area to direct folks away from their facility. There is parking at both points. This stretch of river has several fast water sections and some large curving sections with bank erosion leading to occasional trees falling in and forming strainers. These are potentially dangerous with inexperienced folks as the water current tends to carry tubes right into the strainers. I haven't been down this stretch recently and this conditions varies year to year. The last 100 yards of the trip immediately upstream of the bridge has some class 1 possibly 2 rapids. It can easily be scouted from the bridge approaches. I am not aware of any public way of taking out upstream of this location.